none
Project Server 2010 - project fails to publish at 92% complete MessageType='UpdateSRAMessage' MessageId='179' RRS feed

• Question

• I reviewed the earlier post with a similar problem, but that was reported against 2007.  Also, this failure is with messageID='179', which is slightly different than the previous post.

The publish job is now blocked.  I can cancel it, but then when I try to publish again, I get the same error. I have updated this project many times without a problem.  What is the cause, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave

davep
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:37 PM

Answers

• This can be caused by a particular resource having bad Summary Resource Assignment (SRA) entries in the MSP_ASSN_ENTERPRISE table in the ProjectServer_Published database.  This is telling you that the reason the Publish job is failing is because it cannot create the SRA for the resource listed by UID. This may be because the existing entry is corrupted or has unexpected values (or) Negative values in Cost and/or Work for a particual resource.

Either delete the SRA record using the steps you followed or find the negative value for Cost or Work.
    You cannot avoid 100%, but try the following
    Monitor Project Server Queue
    Educate the project managers to follow the best practises
    Maintain Project Server & SQL server Health
    Conduct maintenance activity on the project databases

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• SRAM - from memory that is a Summary Resource Assignment - do you have resources on summary tasks?  If so, worth removing and then re-trying a publish.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Ben,

I just verified that none of the summary tasks have resource assignments in the plan I'm trying to publish.  Actually, none of the projects have resources assigned to summary tasks (verified with a query against MSP_TASKS JOIN MSP_ASSIGNMENTS).  I also know that it's not our practice to assign resources to summary tasks.

If you think it's Summary Resource Assignments corruption, can I just delete all of the rows in MSP_ASSN_ENTERPRISE and re-publish my projects?  Will this table be re-populated from MSP_ASSIGNMENTS?

I've been updating this project for a few weeks without a problem until yesterday.  The events leading up to the problem included a couple of rarely-used actions:

1) two task updates on another project were rejected so the submitter could correct the entries.

2) one timesheet with time on this project was recalled.  Time on an existing task for the current timeperiod was removed (leaving only time reported from previous timeperiods, and remaining work was set to 0, which would cause the task to be 100% complete upon update).

3) The task updates were accepted and the project was opened in Project Professional, and an attempt to publish it resulted in the error.

Thanks in advance for your help,

davep
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:34 PM
  •  

With database backups in hand, I decided to try to delete the SRA records (the ones with a PROJ_UID of all 1's) from MSP_ASSN_ENTERPRISE, according to the blog post at http://blog.itxsolutionsindia.com/.  I also deleted my local project cache.  It worked!  I'm back up and running!

Does anyone have any insight as to why these records get corrupted?  I'd like to know so that I can try to avoid those situations.

Thanks,

davep
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:55 PM
  • This can be caused by a particular resource having bad Summary Resource Assignment (SRA) entries in the MSP_ASSN_ENTERPRISE table in the ProjectServer_Published database.  This is telling you that the reason the Publish job is failing is because it cannot create the SRA for the resource listed by UID. This may be because the existing entry is corrupted or has unexpected values (or) Negative values in Cost and/or Work for a particual resource.

Either delete the SRA record using the steps you followed or find the negative value for Cost or Work.
    You cannot avoid 100%, but try the following
    Monitor Project Server Queue
    Educate the project managers to follow the best practises
    Maintain Project Server & SQL server Health
    Conduct maintenance activity on the project databases

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:51 PM