none
Questions about Formula.Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

1. Why not let us turn off Privacy Levels in Power BI service? Are there any plans around that?
    They at least slow down the queries a lot, and often don't let to make queries at all.
    Yes, I understand that I can configure the system to make all the queries to Internet resources through Gateway with PL turned off, but it's not the best solution having the Service, isn't it?

2. Why Privacy Levels have any influence on the work of the service when ALL of data sources of a particular project are marked as Public?
    From logical point of view, marking all the data source in the project as Public should turn Privacy Levels off automatically...

3. Why Privacy Levels check algorithm are different in Power BI Desktop and in the Service?

E.g. it seems that in the Service all the queries to sources, which are then mixed in the single query, must be in Section1 (on the top "level" of PQ), while in PBDesktop they may be on the same level just upper than the Query where they are used.

Actually sometimes placing Queries on the top level on PBI desktop is more Formula.Firewall error prone - why? - I don't have any idea yet...

4. It would be great to clearly describe all the conditions when Formula.Firewall error is raised.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 10:11 PM

Answers

1. Yes, there are plans to support this. I can't comment on the timeline, but the lack of Privacy Level support in the Power BI service is a significant source of customer issues.
    2. Marking your data sources as Public only affects your local refreshes. When uploaded to the Power BI service, all data sources are treated as Private, regardless of the Privacy Levels you specified when running locally.
    3. Good question. :)
    4. I agree. I've actually been working on a document about the Data Privacy Firewall that I hope to be able to share soon. Stay tuned.

Ehren

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:12 AM
    Owner

All replies

1. Yes, there are plans to support this. I can't comment on the timeline, but the lack of Privacy Level support in the Power BI service is a significant source of customer issues.
    2. Marking your data sources as Public only affects your local refreshes. When uploaded to the Power BI service, all data sources are treated as Private, regardless of the Privacy Levels you specified when running locally.
    3. Good question. :)
    4. I agree. I've actually been working on a document about the Data Privacy Firewall that I hope to be able to share soon. Stay tuned.

Ehren

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:12 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren!

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:00 PM