Clustered Database
    OperationManager - Successful installation
    OperationManagerDW - Successful installation

SCOM Master
    System Center Operations Manager 2007 SP1 - Successful installation

SCOM Reporting Server
    SQL Server 2008 and Reporting Services 2008

Located and connected to SCOM Master
    Located and connected to Clustered Database and assigned DataWriter and DataReader Permissions
    Reporting Server: Local Server Name
    *Note: The SQL installation is a named Instance.  The named instance is not displayed.

When I select the Local server Name, The error message says it can not find the database.
    This ends with a - Failed installation message

Any help?

mj

Monday, July 6, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi MJ

Can you run the following SQL statement against the OperationsManagerDW database:

Select * From Management Group

You might not want to post the results as it will contain "personal data" to your company but can you confirm:
    - how many rows are returned?
    - whether the Management Group name is correct?
    - whether there is a value in the ConnectRejectedDateTime field.

I have seen issues around the SQL Reporting Services component of OpsMgr failing and the roll back doesn't do a complete roll back .... this means that once it fails, it fails for good. There is a clean up script but it would be worth investigating if that is the problem here.

Cheers

Graham 
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

it seems to be a security issue. Could you please check the firewall configuration on your Windows 2008 box and verify that TCP & UDP traffic on port 1433 (SQL Server port number) is authorized.

Regards,

//Nader.

[Edit]: UDP port 1434 is needed to access a named SQL instance: http://www.sqlmag.com/Article/ArticleID/39447/sql_server_39447.html
    • Proposed as answer by NABENMES Monday, July 6, 2009 11:52 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Probably a windows 2008 firewall issue like _NBenmess is pointing. Have a look at the following post http://scug.be/blogs/sccm/archive/2008/07/29/sccm-scom-remote-sql-2005-amp-the-windows-server-2008-firewall.aspx

Alexandre Verkinderen | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://scug.be/blogs/scom
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hi MJ

Can you run the following SQL statement against the OperationsManagerDW database:

Select * From Management Group

You might not want to post the results as it will contain "personal data" to your company but can you confirm:
    - how many rows are returned?
    - whether the Management Group name is correct?
    - whether there is a value in the ConnectRejectedDateTime field.

I have seen issues around the SQL Reporting Services component of OpsMgr failing and the roll back doesn't do a complete roll back .... this means that once it fails, it fails for good. There is a clean up script but it would be worth investigating if that is the problem here.

Cheers

Graham 
    • Marked as answer by Rob Kuehfus Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:48 AM
  • I recieved the following from Microsoft Support in regards this issue.  I hope this helps others.

I would like to inform you that System center 2007 Sp1 is not supported for Operations manager and Datawarehouse database. Next version of system center, that is system center operations manager 2007 R2 supports SQL 2008.

Please refer below article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/958170

Please install reporting on SQL 2005 or upgrade It to SCOM R2. Let me know if I can be any further assistance on this issue.

MJ

Monday, July 13, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for this info. Are you saying no work around for this? SCOM SP1 with SQL 2008. It failed preq and could not proceed further. Any way without the use of SQL 2005?

Rgds

Fiss

Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:27 AM