Is a package installed RRS feed

• Question

• Altiris uses a detection rule to determine if a particular piece of software is installed or not on a computer.  This is a great feature because it doesn't try to install software that is already on a computer and is required for scheduled software deliveries that keep trying until the program is installed.  I need a way to check an existing registry key or folder path to determine if a particular AppV package has been loaded or not. 

The main method of checking keys in windows\current version\uninstall don't exist for AppV deployed packages. 

Likewise I cannot check c:\program files because the package files are on drive Q which I don't have access to. 

I tried looking at the software\microsoft\softgrid\4.5\client\applications key, but found that if I delete a package, this key remains and so I can't use that as an indicator. 

last I tried looking for shortcuts in the start menu icons, but they all seem to be loaded in each user's profile rather than the global start menu so I can't get a consistent path to check for shortcuts.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can use WMI to query the list of added applications, see these links:

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:44 PM
  • At least this is something.  Unfortunalty I cannot run a script to do the detections.  All i can do is specify if a file name exists or a specific registry key.  I'd have to run a script after every appv install that does this query and makes a text file or registry key for every entry this script returns.  It'd be easier to make an arbitrary text file of my choosing whenever I do an AppV install or remove it. 

Any other keys or files that could point to a package being installed?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hello,

If using App-V Standalone mode and utilizing the provided MSI - that could be use to determine if a package was installed onto a system (like any MSI-based installation). Even though it may still be unloaded without the MSI - incase you have limitied possibilites todo other checks the MSI is a possible option.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:15 AM
  • At least this is something.  Unfortunalty I cannot run a script to do the detections.  All i can do is specify if a file name exists or a specific registry key.  I'd have to run a script after every appv install that does this query and makes a text file or registry key for every entry this script returns.  It'd be easier to make an arbitrary text file of my choosing whenever I do an AppV install or remove it. 

Any other keys or files that could point to a package being installed?

Could you write a script that runs as a scheduled task that uses SFTMIME QUERY PACKAGE or the WMI interface to determine the packages added to the client, that then writes to a registry location of your choosing to record the list of apps? Maybe each app as a value or sub-key.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:15 PM
  • It looks like scripting is the only way I'll accomplish this.  Altiris managed software delivery works like this.

1. Is the software installed?
    2. If not - run the install command
    3. When finished, immediatly check to see if it's install (verify the install)

Since it verifies immedtiatly, I need to have it write the registry key or file during the install process.  Since the install command is a cmd file, I can easily add a line in there to write a key.  The tricky part is handling the error messages from appv so that it doesn't write the file if the install fails. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Friday, March 16, 2012 9:28 AM