none
Blocking Websites Using group Policy

Question

• Hi,

i want to block few websites like facebook,youtube for some time period for ex: 1 pm to 2 pm for all domain users.please guide me how to apply these settings.

Thanks

• Edited by JiteshKumar Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:45 AM

All replies

• Windows Server 2008 or higher introduced Group Policy Preferences, and it has very granular targeting capabilities, it allows you totarget them to a specific time range. Using a Group Policy Preference with a time span target allows different preferences to be applied at different times of the day. For example, you could apply different policies for power preferences at different times of the day. SO just create normal policy of blocking website and map it using policy preference.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:02 AM
  • But i want to Block some Website URL for certain time using GPO. If you have any idea then please let me know.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Create a GPO to block website and applie it to GPO on that oU use item level targeting> read bwlo for details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn789189(v=ws.11).aspx

Or secondly you can also create a GPO template and schedule two task using task scheduler one to apply agpo and one to remove at the specified time.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Thanks for the info, have you done it before? if u faced such scenario then please provide me details.

I am unable to find any solutions from that reference.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hello everyone, is there any update?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi,
    In my experience, it seems that the group policy could not get the target done. The appropriate way to manage internet traffic with using of a proxy.  You would configure your outbound Firewall rules, and you could be done by a router/proxy as a network-wide policy or refer to some third party tools.
    Here is a similar thread, you could refer to more details: http://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/10840/how-to-block-websites-for-some-time-of-the-day-e-g-9am-6pm-for-productivity
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:39 AM
  • But i want to apply these settings in many system. So,its not possible to go each and every system.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Hello guys, Is there any update? please guide me. 
    Saturday, January 28, 2017 4:36 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, there is no built-in method in the group policy, maybe, you could refer to some third party tools and see if they help and some are mentioned in the following thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/dc8c1318-9e43-46ec-8b03-08a90a725abc/block-websites-in-a-domain?forum=windowsserver2008r2general
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 30, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Thanks Wendy, i'll try to follow that link. hope it will work
    • Edited by JiteshKumar Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Friday, February 03, 2017 2:18 AM