DFS Replication between two sites. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Recently I migrated my 2008 DFS servers to new 2016 DFS servers.  Now I have one DFS server ( DFS01 - 2016 ) in site A which is  assigned as primary server and also I have secondary DFS server ( DFS02 - 2016 ) in site B.

All users data has been moved to primary DFS server ( DFS -2016 ) which is located in site A and started access by end users.  I want to create DFS replication from primary to secondary DFS server because backup will happen at secondary server.  Instead of initiate full replication all data in primary server ( 6 TB ) to secondary server can I first using copy method all data from primary to secondary server, then after copy completed I will initiate the replication.

My concern if I'm using copy paste method  then continue with DFS Replication does all the changes file in primary DFS server also will be replication to secondary DFS server?.  My objective is I want to reduce bandwidth utilization  by doing full data replication and to shorten the time for secondary DFS server getting updated data as primary server.

Really appreciate advise from expert!!!

Thank you!

Friday, April 12, 2019 11:36 PM

Answers

• DFS is one of those services that can be fantasic... if setup correctly.  :-D  Otherwise it can be a nightmare.

With two DFS servers at the same location the best thing you can do is change the target prioritization so one is always used unless it fails. Then users would fail over to the other.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770290.aspx

Keep in mind DFS relies heavily on AD, DNS, and AD Sites and Services setup properly. Without a healthy AD will make DFS work best. The reason I point this out is DFS uses similar technology used in AD replication. As long as your AD is healthy you shouldn't have any major issues.

• Marked as answer by Badrin Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:39 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:30 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for your technical advise. Meaning that I can proceed initiate copy paste method first before I start the replication between 2 DFS servers so that I'm not going to utilize  huge of WAN bandwidth.  Thanks again!!!

• Marked as answer by Badrin Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:35 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hello!

If I understood you right, you want to copy-paste the data first from the DFS01 -> DFS02 server, and then create a DFS Replication?

This will work, you can either do this or just let DFS Replication replicate everything.

As long as DFS Replcation is enabled, all changes will be replicated from DFS01 -> DFS02.

As for the bandwidth, you can control the replication schedule and the bandwidth it uses, once you have successfully created a DFS Replication group:

1. Right-click the DFS replication group and go to Properties.

2. Click on Edit Schedule.

3. This is what you will see by default, it will allow replication on all days at all hours and running at Full bandwidth.

4. Click on Details to get a better view the schedule for the whole week, here you can also configure the schedules.

5. Simply click on the bandwidth usage "Full" to select another bandwidth to use.

Example:

I will restrict the DFS replication bandwidth usage for a replication group, I will limit the bandwidth usage to 64 Mbps, and this limitation will be on normal workdays (monday - friday) between 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Select the time frame when you want to restrict the bandwidth limit:

Then select the bandwidth for the selected time frame:

You can now view the result of the bandwidth usage limitation:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Monday, April 15, 2019 5:10 AM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:08 AM
  • DFS is one of those services that can be fantasic... if setup correctly.  :-D  Otherwise it can be a nightmare.

With two DFS servers at the same location the best thing you can do is change the target prioritization so one is always used unless it fails. Then users would fail over to the other.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770290.aspx

Keep in mind DFS relies heavily on AD, DNS, and AD Sites and Services setup properly. Without a healthy AD will make DFS work best. The reason I point this out is DFS uses similar technology used in AD replication. As long as your AD is healthy you shouldn't have any major issues.

• Marked as answer by Badrin Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:39 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2019 5:30 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Thanks for your technical advise. Meaning that I can proceed initiate copy paste method first before I start the replication between 2 DFS servers so that I'm not going to utilize  huge of WAN bandwidth.  Thanks again!!!

• Marked as answer by Badrin Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:35 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:35 PM
  • Hi Doche1,

Totally agreed with you, I will ensure AD and DNS not having any issues.  At this moment I only make DFS1 as active connection  for users to access through DFS namespace.  I will try to do some study and research how to make both DFS server active so that it will be provide High availability to users just in case DFS01 down. 

Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:25 AM