none
Understanding Work based on Limited Max. Resouce Capacity_Duration_Multiple Resource Allocation/task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have set resource max. capacity to 80% under the resource sheet. Now let’s say I have 4 tasks that are linked and of 2 hr duration each with the same resource. Then I would expect to see 6.4 hr work to be completed on day 1 and rest of the 1.6 hr work on the next day since I am trying to set the capacity limitation per day not per task. However, what I am seeing in the work field for these tasks is 80% of duration meaning 1.6 hr for each task and yet all 4 tasks are still getting done on the same day.

How do I make my plan do what I expect to see? I understand that there may be nothing wrong with the behavior I am seeing in this process and it could be that I have to do something different to include limited resource capacity per day and not per task. Also, I want to accomplish this without having to change the calendar as 80% availability could be at any time of the working day not necessarily certain hours of the day. Please guide appropriately.

Also, as seen in the screenshot, when I add 5 min (0.0833 hr) to task # 9, finish field only shows 4 min unlike task # 7.

Many thanks!

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd advice you to work with the split screen, displaying the task form in the lower part.

Then you'll see that allocating a resource to a task will assign by default the resource at its max % unit, meaning 80% in your case.

Thus, if your calendar and scheduling options are settled for 8hrs a day, the task will have the specified duration (let's say 1d, so 8hrs) but the work will be calculated based on the 80%, meaning 6,4hrs.

In your case, 1.6hrs work is 80% of 2hrs duration, thus the behavior is normal. Then if you summ 4 tasks at 1.6hrs, you got 6.4hrs of work, that is correct.

Im my screenshot below, see that by default, I'm assigned at 80% of 7hrs a day, thus 5.6hrs.

Finally for your last concern, 4minutes is also 80% of 5 minutes.

Once more, I strongly recommend you to use the split screen with the task form which will gives you all relevant information. 

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Note that another consequence of having a max unit at 80% is that if you force the resource to work at 100% (8hrs a day), it will be showned as overallocated.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:59 PM
  • By setting the resource's max units to 80%, the resource can only generate 1.6 hours of work in the 2 hour duration.  Project can fit 4 2-hour duration tasks in an 8 hour day resulting in 6.4 hours of work for the resource during the day. 

If you mean that the resource should be working 2 hours, not 1.6 hours - increase the work to 2 hours and you'll see the duration increase for each meeting increase to 2.5 hours and the last meeting will run in to the next day.

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Quote:

"I have to do something different to include limited resource capacity per day and not per task"

Exact. That something different is called resource leveling.

Moreover, in your case leveling will not react since you only load your resource for 6,4 hours per day which is exactly 80% (max capacity) of a day so there is no problem. Would you try to add a 5th task like that, you would see the overallocation sign (little red man) appear and leveling would push one of he 5 tasks into the next day.

Greetings,

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Why is 80% applied to task # 9 but not 7 when all resources are set to 80% max. capacity?
    Monday, February 10, 2014 6:28 PM
  • Hi Meghna,

As far as I see in your screenshot, both task 7 and 9 have the same duration and work, I can see no differences. Is also a resource assign to those tasks with 80% max unit?

I actually did the test as per my screenshot below: if you allocate on the 5min task a 80% max unit resource, you should have 4min work (evenif it is TOO way granular).

Anyway display the lower task form in order to check this out.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Guillaume,

Both tasks have same duration and work but if you look at the start and finish time, one task has full 5 mins and the other has 4 mins even though both resources are set to 80% max. capacity.

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Dealing with minutes is quite tricky, but here is my guess:

Task 9 starts at beginning of 9:40, thus 5 minutes ends at the end of 9:44. Maybe try to delete and create again the assignments.

Anyway, I would not suggest to schedule 5 minutes tasks, evenmore with resources at 80%.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 10, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Meghan wrote:

Thanks Julie! I had asked this "How do I make my plan do what I expect/want to see? I understand that there may be nothing wrong with the behavior I am seeing in this process and it could be that I have to do something different to include limited resource capacity per day and not per task." the suggested solution of resource leveling doesn't accomplish the behavior I am trying to set.

As mentioned before, I want all resources to be available 80% per project not by task. Meaning they should be fully assigned to any task up to 6.4 hours and any allocation beyond 6.4 hours should be pushed to the next working day.

Please advise.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:37 PM
  • I'm afraid we are talking past one another.  If you have 4 2-hour duration tasks linked Finish to Start - assuming they start at the beginning of the working day - all 4 tasks will fit in an 8 hour day. 

If you assign a resource with 80% max units, the resource will generate 1.6 hours of work on each 2 hour task.  So, in total - the resource will work 6.4 hours per day.  I don't understand why you expect to see any work shifted to the next day.

When you set a resource's max units Project uses those max units per assignment and per task.  So, do you mean the work to be 2 hours per task?  The only way to include limited resource capacity per task is to leave the resource's assignment units at 100% and only allow approximately 6.5 hours per day in the resource's calendar or set the max units at 80%.  If you increase the work to 2 hours - at 80% the duration increases to 2.5 hours and the last task is pushed into the next day.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:50 PM