none
Touchpad not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Windows 8.1 Sony VAIO Laptop- Since Morning my Touchpad is not working. However, an external mouse is working properly. Can someone suggest some solutions?

Thanks!

• Edited by a12d Saturday, May 21, 2016 7:04 AM
    Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:57 AM

Answers

• Right click start choose Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices. Double click the touchpad, go to the Driver tab then click Uninstall to uninstall the driver (it may have become faulty). Reboot and hopefully the touchpad will work again.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:07 PM
  • There are two ways to uninstall the Touchpad driver: either via Device Manager or in the following way:

Open Control Panel
    Switch the "View by" in the top right hand corner to "Large icons"
    Click on Mouse
    Click on the "Function" Tab and uncheck "use web assistant"
    Click on Apply
    Click on the "Tapping" tab and uncheck "Tapping"
    Click on Apply and OK

if you uninstall Touchpad driver via Device Manager it will reinstall Microsoft's default driver after rebooting the computer but if you uninstall via Control Panel then you can reinstall Sony's Touchpad driver.

Drivers and Software

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:30 AM
  • Hi a12d,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that have you made any changes before the issue occurred?

I suppose that the problem may relate to the driver. Please try to reinstall or update to the latest version and check the result.

For more about touchpad problems, please refer to the link:

Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with the touchpad, you need to ask manufacturer for further help.

https://esupport.sony.com/US

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:02 PM

All replies

• Right click start choose Device Manager, expand Mice and other pointing devices. Double click the touchpad, go to the Driver tab then click Uninstall to uninstall the driver (it may have become faulty). Reboot and hopefully the touchpad will work again.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:07 PM
  • There are two ways to uninstall the Touchpad driver: either via Device Manager or in the following way:

Open Control Panel
    Switch the "View by" in the top right hand corner to "Large icons"
    Click on Mouse
    Click on the "Function" Tab and uncheck "use web assistant"
    Click on Apply
    Click on the "Tapping" tab and uncheck "Tapping"
    Click on Apply and OK

if you uninstall Touchpad driver via Device Manager it will reinstall Microsoft's default driver after rebooting the computer but if you uninstall via Control Panel then you can reinstall Sony's Touchpad driver.

Drivers and Software

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:30 AM
  • Hi a12d,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that have you made any changes before the issue occurred?

I suppose that the problem may relate to the driver. Please try to reinstall or update to the latest version and check the result.

For more about touchpad problems, please refer to the link:

Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab01

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with the touchpad, you need to ask manufacturer for further help.

https://esupport.sony.com/US

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:02 PM