none
Replace Resource Changes Units and Hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hoping someone can validate behavior we noticed today...

Office 2013, more importantly Project Pro 2013, was updated by our IT department yesterday to SP1. Today, when we replace a generic resource with a named resource (add resource->build team from enterprise->select named from left, generic from right->click replace), the units on all tasks they are assigned to are replaced with the Max Units of the named resource, then hours are recalculated (even though all tasks are fixed work).

In one case, this adds 4000 hours and $260,000 to the project. This is happening now to all my users and while I have no real proof, I can't help but point the finger at the SP1 that was pushed to everyone last night.

Can anyone confirm a bug in SP1, or help me understand the new 'logic' Project is using.

Thanks,

Micah

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:26 PM

Answers

• The behavior was introduced in the July 2015 PU. It is a known issue with Microsoft, and will be corrected in the Sept 2015 PU. See below.

Email from MS Support:

Hi Micah,

I have assumed ownership of this escalation and will be continuing efforts with you on this case. This issue is actually already known and our product group is also working on a resolution to this issue. It is currently slated for the September 2015 PU.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:15 PM

All replies

• Email from Microsoft Support:

Hi Micah,

Thanks for sharing the detailed steps with us! It has helped us repro the issue in our lab.

We have tested the scenario on multiple machine with both the earlier versions of Project 2013 and the July 2015 update of Project 2013.

As per the current status, we are able to repro the issue in our lab. I am currently working with my Escalation’s to check if this was a design change done in this version of the Project or if this is a bug.

I will keep you updated on the status of the issue.

Regards,

Friday, July 24, 2015 4:46 PM
  • The behavior was introduced in the July 2015 PU. It is a known issue with Microsoft, and will be corrected in the Sept 2015 PU. See below.

Email from MS Support:

Hi Micah,

I have assumed ownership of this escalation and will be continuing efforts with you on this case. This issue is actually already known and our product group is also working on a resolution to this issue. It is currently slated for the September 2015 PU.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:15 PM
  • We are facing the same problem. We certainly can not wait till Sep 2015 for the patch to roll out. Is there another way to resolve it other than uninstalling the July 2015 updates and disabling future updates? Will that even fix the problem?
    • Edited by Nagen Singh Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 3:50 PM
  • We have noticed the same issue. Our workaround is

1. Add the New Resource(s)
    2. Go to the Resource Usage View (Sort by Name and Hide Subtasks)
    3. Copy the Tasks from the old Resource to the new - don't drag the tasks as the Hours (Work) will change here too
    4. Delete the old Resource and associated tasks

As in the comment above, I also am ready for the September update...

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:41 PM