Win XP Pro 64-bit not updating RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am attempting to install updates at update.microsoft.com. I get to the screen to choose whether I want to do an express or custom install. If I choose either custom or express, the screen seems to process as if it will find the needed updates, then return an error.

[Error number: 0x8024402F]

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I installed the Windows Update Active X control that popped up. I made sure automatic updates was turned on. I removed the software distribution folder. I reset my browser settings back to defaults. I turned off all antivirus and firewall software. I also ran a virus scan on the computer. I attempted to run a fixit, and it gives an error microsoft center fix it could not be downloaded. Please try again later. The remote server returned an error. (407) Proxy Authentication required. I checked the proxy settings in my browser, which are great. All other machines on the network are able to install updates, except this one. Any ideas?

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• I did all of what was mentioned above, but none of it resolved the issue. Since I was getting the proxy authentication error, I bypassed our proxy server and was able to get the updates to show, download and install. I changed the name of the computer, and placed the settings back through our proxy and the website still worked appropriately. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by ITGIRL29 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:49 PM

All replies

•  Microsoft recommends that users upgrade to Windows 7. Support for Windows XP 64-bit edition has ended.

Carey Frisch

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:56 PM
  • The remote server returned an error. (407) Proxy Authentication required.

For Microsoft Fix it issues, please ask at the http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fixitcenter/threads forum. 

Please try all the steps mentioned at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 (including the "Advanced troubleshooting methods" section) (To try methods F, download and install BITS 2.5)

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:11 AM
  • I did all of what was mentioned above, but none of it resolved the issue. Since I was getting the proxy authentication error, I bypassed our proxy server and was able to get the updates to show, download and install. I changed the name of the computer, and placed the settings back through our proxy and the website still worked appropriately. Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by ITGIRL29 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:49 PM
  • I've read somewhere that support for xp 64 WILL END IN 2014, because it  is a close relative to the win2003 server and I  don't believe MS wants to alienate that user group for awhile. I got that from a MS web site but not sure which one.

Frank Stankis Sys Mngr

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:25 PM