none
Exchange Database Recovery - Error: Alternate storage group or the database specified is invalid. (ID 30198) RRS feed

  • Question

  • When trying to restore a mailbox database from DPM 2010 I'm getting the error 'Recovery failed for Exchange Mailbox Database Database1 on {exchange-server-name} as the alternate storage group or the database specified is invalid. (ID 30198 Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057))'

    I have created the recovery database with this command:

    new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “D:\restore\RDB1.edb” –logfolderpath “D:\restore\” –server ExchangeServerName

    Following the steps outlined in this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmexchbackup/thread/0fbc3b4e-b85f-4e69-928b-5d37bf4da7a5

    I can see the database in the exchange console and have set the ability for it to be over written with by the restore.

    I go into DPM and select the recovery point I would like to recover from and then select the mailbox, right click and recover. I have been though the wizard and selected a Recovery Type of 'Recover mailbox to an Exchange server database'. I have specified the server the RDB has been created on and the database name: ‘RDB1’.

    On the final page of the wizard the progress bar goes for a few seconds and then it comes back with the error 'Recovery failed for Exchange Mailbox Database Database1 on {exchange-server-name} as the alternate storage group or the database specified is invalid. (ID 30198)' in red.

    I have tried recreating a new RDB, having the RDB mounted and unmounted . There is enough space for the recovery.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

    Thanks, Joe


    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:50 PM

Answers

  • Hello rjohn427 - thanks for your sugestions!

    In the end I have restored this to a shared folder on the Exchange server and then used the new-mailboxdatabase command to create the RDB pointing it to the database restored to the UNC path. I selected the option in DPM to set the maildatabase to a clean shutdown state.

    new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “D:\restore\{RestoredMailDatabase}.edb” –logfolderpath “D:\restore\{NewLogs}” –server {ExchangeServerName}

    I was then able to mount the RDB and restore the mailboxes back.

    Thanks again for your sugestion and I'll bare it in mind next time!

    Joe

    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

  • Hello rjohn427 - thanks for your sugestions!

    In the end I have restored this to a shared folder on the Exchange server and then used the new-mailboxdatabase command to create the RDB pointing it to the database restored to the UNC path. I selected the option in DPM to set the maildatabase to a clean shutdown state.

    new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “D:\restore\{RestoredMailDatabase}.edb” –logfolderpath “D:\restore\{NewLogs}” –server {ExchangeServerName}

    I was then able to mount the RDB and restore the mailboxes back.

    Thanks again for your sugestion and I'll bare it in mind next time!

    Joe

    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:14 PM
  • You can use a third-party EDB Recovery Tool to repair and restore the corrupted Exchange database.


    Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:21 PM