none
Outlook 2010 GPO options

Question

• I am trying to use a GPO to set the Outlook Anywhere configuration for our Outlook 2010 users (around 95% of the user base). I know the only setting available in a GPO by default is whether Outlook Anywhere is visible or not. I have downloaded the template to allow me to go into more depth as recommended here but despite having added this and it saying it is there I cannot see the 4 new options it is supposed to provide. The file I downloaded is from the Microsoft Download site and it is accepted when I right click Administrative Templates and select Add templates.

I also downloaded a newer version, with admx files, these are not even seen when I try to add them as new templates.

How can I get these options to appear?

Monday, January 30, 2017 6:10 PM

All replies

• Are you using an ADMX Central Policy Store?  If so, you need to add the ADMX and corresponding ADML file to the Central Policy Store, and ensure AD/DFS replication is working between all domain controllers, before the new Group Policy options will be seen everywhere.  The first articles you provided concern ADM policy files - those are no longer supported or recommended by Microsoft.  Troubleshoot this from an ADMX angle - please do not waste efforts with those ADM files you cited.  Since you haven't stated what AD version you are running here are articles for managing the Central Store in Windows 2008: Managing Group Policy ADMX Files Step-by-Step Guide and in Windows 2012:  Creating a GPO Central Store in Windows Server 2012 R2.

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 1:48 AM
  • Yes, we are using a central policy store, the admx and adml files are already there (see below), they were there before I started this but the options I see still do not include the additional options for Outlook anywhere (first screenshot)

As I said, I even  tried to add the admx files via right clicking on admin templates, it does not see the files.

Our AD is 2008 R2, all DCs are 2008 R2.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 3:04 PM
  • I've been searching for answers to this, and the general consensus is that the instructions from MS are useless, but then there are conflicting instructions for how to fix this. Most of them say to download the updated Office 2010 ADMX files, but nobody says where to find them and a search just goes back to the useless MS instructions. The instructions go on to say replace the folders in the central store, which is a dangerous thing to say given there are more than just Office ADMX and ADML files in there.

There are also instructions that say to use the Administrative template installer, but again there are no links to a download and a search takes you back to, you guessed it, the useless MS instructions.

If anyone has a link to the latest ADMX files for Office 2010 and/or the installer please provide it, I need to get this GPO created and in operation last week.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:00 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried the following download link? https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=18968
    And please have a try following the article as below step by step regarding to configure Outlook 2010 settings via group policy, then see if the settings are showed: 
    http://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/active-directory/157-configure-outlook-2010-settings-via-group-policy
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 03, 2017 2:43 AM