Why does Intellisense take multiple seconds to react after command parameters? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

A good example is 

Get-NetFirewallRule -Enabled

and hitting Enter. For me that means 4s of waiting before the two (!) options are listed.

When I turn off Intellisense there is no delay.

PS Curiously, setting the timeout for Intellisense to 1s doesn't change a thing.

• Edited by Dequester Saturday, July 15, 2017 10:43 PM Clarity
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:39 PM

Answers

• If a module is not loaded it will take some time.  After it is loaded "autocomplete" will be faster.  Load times depend on your computer system and the number of modules and module paths.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Dequester Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:33 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Sorry but I cannot reproduce your issue.  On all of my systems the options pop up instantaneously.  Something in your installation is likely bad.  Per haps a refresh will get you going.

The issue is not really a scripting question but is more of a "my pc is broke" issue.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Dequester Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:26 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:16 PM

All replies

• If a module is not loaded it will take some time.  After it is loaded "autocomplete" will be faster.  Load times depend on your computer system and the number of modules and module paths.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Dequester Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:33 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply jrv,

the error has been repeatable (I tried it ten times in a row: SPACE > Wait > BACKSPACE > and each time I had those 4 seconds).

But now the delay has dwindled down to somethin like 300ms. Restarting the ise probably did that.

Still unnerving. It doesn't vanish even if I do

Import-Module NetSecurity

Get-NetFirewallRule -Enabled

it's still taking time to show the two options true/false.

PS The computer system most likely isn't the bottleneck here (i5-7600 3.5GHz with 16GB RAM).

• Edited by Dequester Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:03 PM Typo
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:03 PM
  • Sorry but I cannot reproduce your issue.  On all of my systems the options pop up instantaneously.  Something in your installation is likely bad.  Per haps a refresh will get you going.

The issue is not really a scripting question but is more of a "my pc is broke" issue.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Dequester Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:26 AM
    Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:16 PM
  • Thanks for verifying that it should come up instantaneously. I'll try to refresh what I can find ;).

I reset the PC with the Windows Recovery from the settings and well, it is fast as lightning again. Thanks again for pointing me to repair my system :).

Regards,

Dennis

• Edited by Dequester Sunday, July 16, 2017 11:26 AM Resetting the pc solved the problem.
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:27 AM