Vista and DSL connection problem RRS feed

• Question

• Bought new HP, came with Vista.  Ordered Verizon DSL, came with Actiontec modem/router.  Got everything hooked up and it says I'm connected, but when trying to access diff. sites I get either a "HTTP 404" error or simply "Can't display webpage" message.  I have tried everything Verizon tech support has suggested while on the phone for over 3 hours, nothing works.  HELP
    Sunday, February 4, 2007 3:56 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem.  We have Verizon DSL on my computer downstairs (XP) and had DSL working upstairs with a USB device.  My daughter replaced her computer today with a wireless laptop with VISTA.  After three phone calls I finally got someone I could understand who told me that too bad, the DSL won't work with the VISTA - he is sorry.  Well, she bought the computer because we were yelling at her to get off ours (hers was slow) She spends alot of time on the internet and I guess now she will be back on ours again.  The worst part was that she called from the Computer store and asked what kind of internet connection we had and the guy told her it would be fine.  Anyone have any suggestions.  Thanks
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Same deal here.  New Vista laptop and Verizon DSL.  Tried the CD...no go.  Called support and they gave me a working username and password for the router (also an Actiontec).  The router shows the ISP is 'connected', but I can't get any web pages to come up.  I got the same answer  "Verizon is very sorry for this problem sir...blah blah blah".  I thought maybe if I completed the registration with an XP system that it might work after that?   I guess not.  :(

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thursday, February 8, 2007 9:36 PM
  • We are having the same trouble issue except we have SBC(AT&T) IP. We ALWAYS get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." It says we are connected to the internet. We have so far spent 2 hours on the phone with SBC (says it's a modem security issue) and have told us to call HP which we have spent a total of 8hours on the phone with, been disconnected 2 times and still NO SOLUTION to our problem. We have tried ALL the troubleshooting steps.
    We are about to return the computer, printer, camera to HP and modem to SBC &  forget it all!
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Anita
    Monday, February 12, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Forget to mention.... SBC sent a book of instructions for  the DSL modem for Windows Vista users ONLY.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Let me see if I can shed some light on the conversation here... I had the same problem w/ SBC Yahoo!DSL... I cannot directly connect to the DSL router no way no how due to some wierd Vista issue.. The only work around I found was going through my linksys router.. No however I just went to DSL in the last couple of months and had to log onto the DSL Modem with my laptop running WinXP to set it up. Now if you are using SBC DSL after you have the username/password setup in the router it stays logged in. Now on Verizon I do not know.. Since most of them still use PPOE. Also I did notice shutting off IPv6 in Vista helped out after connecting everything...

Hope this helps a little,

Chris

Monday, February 12, 2007 9:21 PM
  • some little help tips for 404, and page cannot be displayed...

- try to lower down the security softwares;
    - clear cookies and TIF's;
    - try to powercycle modem/router/pc; while doing it replug all the cables; or try using another set of cables;
    - still no go...try this..

* click on the pearl, and search for run...then go to command
    * from there, type ipconfig/all;

- if u'll be provided with with an IP of 169.x.x.x -- its a non-routable IP, call your computer manufacturer;
    - if its 192.x.x.x -- then its good...lets proceed;

* try to look for the default gateway...if the gateway is 192.168.1.1 pc is communicating with modem..
    * try to ping websites ( you should not get "could not find host" or "loss = 100%)
    * try to ping modem ( you should not get "cannot find host"...or something like it)

- if it gives you those message, try to check for NIC status;
    - NIC shouldnt have an "!" or a "X" mark onto it...if its "!" uninstall driver of NIC and reload it, if its "x" check with computer manufacturer;
    - if none is present, try accessing the GUI of the modem (only works for "smart" modems, if its "dumb"...get in touch with tech support)
    - if you cant access it...you might be experiencing browser issues...call ISP for assistance and take note of the steps that you have done...

actually these are steps i usually undergo for some basic TS with my pc at home...hope this helps especially that some updates are being worked by either microsoft and your local ISP...make sure to check on the lights of the modem as well...the light for "DSL" should not blink, if it does, there is either a problem on the lines, phonejack or a busted filter...

hope these will help...Ü

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Ok folks....Here's the deal.
    The following is the workaround, or hot fix, to correct the "known issue" with Verizon and Actiontec's DSL Modem/Router using Windows Vista due to software incompatibility, where you have a connection but are always prompted to renter the modems admin username/password  because it thinks it has been "altered".
    This works as I have used it myself and it came directly from Verizon. It is for advanced users and you MUST have either another computer connected to the internet by some other means, or phone a friend to help you.

1.(on pc with issue)
    access the modem gui (192.168.1.1) > note WAN IP address

click "advanced setup"

enter admin login for modem (default is "admin" and "password")

click on "remote management/telnet"

select "ON" for Remote Management

Click apply

close browser

8. (on remote pc)
    on a pc with a different IP address... type in the browser....http://XX.XXX.XX.XX./verizon/redirect
    where XX.XXX.XX.XX is the WAN Ip of the Actiontec modem

Login with admin name and password (default is "admin" and "password")

At the "restricted" screen click "OFF"

refresh IE > make sure "ON" is on the screen ...but DO NOT click.

12. (on pc with issue)
    in IE under the options/advance....reset IE options

Powercycle modem and pc

access modem gui (192.168.1.1)

click "advanced setup"

enter admin login for modem

click on "remote management/telnet"

select "OFF" for Remote Management

Click apply

close browser

I hope this helps. It did for me.

Friday, February 16, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Excellent!!   That worked like a charm.  Too bad the Verizon Techs I talked to couldn't give me this info and save me 4 hours of grief. 

Thanks!!

Monday, February 19, 2007 6:56 AM
  • How do you shut off IPv6 in Vista?

Thanks
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Did you ever get a reply on this? I am having trouble with connections to my SBC Yahoo with Windows Vista. Just bought a new HP Pavillion Desktop 1710N. I will be on for about 10 minutes then I get a page saying I'm not connected to the internet. Spent countless hours on the phones with HP and SBC Yahoo and they can't help or diconnect me. Anything you can help with would be appreciated.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Any one have any idea why my new computer with Vista works at my house, with my Verizon DSL and the router they gave me but not at my sister's house with her Verizon DSL and the router they gave her?  Same router.  I can connect fine at my house but get the same problem everyone has mentioned in here at my sister's place.  Anyone?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I have a similar problem, just bought a new PC, installed the internet, blah blah blah. I can start the internet, but after ANY period of inactivity, the internet shuts off. It says its still connected, but it lies. Someone posted something about ipconfig, is there some way this can help? Please be specific in your instructions guys, not all of us are mega-geniuses
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:59 AM
  • I had the same problem with SBC/Yahoo DSL and Vista Ultimate.  Here is your fix.  DO NOT INSTALL THEIR SOFTWARE.  Instead hook your modem up to a router, it will automatically find the dsl modem.  You will get indications lights on the router.  I use a Netgear router, and as soon as I hooked the modem to the router, it would quickly and fast.  Wish I would have know this 8 hours ago.

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Bought from Best Buy a Toshiba with SP1 Vista of course hi everyone running Verizon DSL it does not work no MSN Premium Tool Bar no mail only Hotmail but my stored mail and drafts are not there. Have to sign in sign out for both MSN (Hotmail) and Verizon Mail. Well everyone I found a solution after I returned the computer back to Best Buy and the Geek Squad spent 10 hours on to no avail this man who runs a small mom and pop computer shop said he could erase the hard drive install XP for 89.00 dollars then load my programs. If I have to take this *(&&^^%$$^*back then I want a refund of 500.00 dollars and this little guy get the computer to turn it into an XP. Everyone I know has a doorstop not a computer.  BILL GATES COME BACK WE NEED YOU. YOU CREATED A MONSTER THAT IS CRIPPLING THE WORLD WIDE WEB.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Was wondering if the DSL status lights are green on your DSL Modem, if they aren't there is a possibility of a duplex voice amplifier being in the line somewhere. Telephone companies used these on long cable runs to improve voice quality of the line. IF that is the case, then the provider will get green status lites on his site while you still have red lights on your modem. If so, then you need the phone tech to trace the line and check for that amplifierl

Good luck

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Will this work for dial-up as well??

Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:46 AM
  • I have Vista and a DSL connection with no problems you may want to check if you have MAC (Media Access Code) Filter ON if so you simply find the MAC address on your computer and enter this the simple way is to turn MAC filtering OFF which will allow new devices to access your WiFi network and if you have WEP key on or a Password in short that will protect your internet connection from unwanted devices being used if that doesnt work try plugging the computer in through LAN directly to the modem
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:02 AM