none
PerformancePoint 2010: Hiding/Masking Columns in a Grid Report RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to hide columns in a Grid report?  I've tried right-clicking and all that good stuff, but there doesn't appear to be a way.  I'd also settle for being able to just change the font to the same color as the background, but it seems like font colors is an all-or-nothing proposition.  Basically I'm trying to create a report that lists all People Names & Locations that are in a Measure, and I had to put one of the actual measures in the report column to get it to create the report, but I fear this random number in the last column is going to be confusing.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• I'm not going to say this is the perfect solution, but it's kind of close.  What I have done is created a calculated measure to be my column value, and I'm making the value of this measure a single space, with the heading a dash.  So the column will appear, but it is very small and has nothing in it.  

With Member [Measures].[-] as
     IIF(
       [Measures].[Needs Additional Practice] > 0,
       ' ',
       null
       )
    SELECT
    NON EMPTY { [Measures].[-] }
    ON COLUMNS,

NON EMPTY { [Proficiency Assessment].[Test-Standard].DEFAULTMEMBER } * { [Teacher].[Teacher Name].[Teacher Name].ALLMEMBERS } * { [Teacher-Period-Student].[Period].[Period].ALLMEMBERS } * { [Student].[Student Name].[Student Name].ALLMEMBERS }
    ON ROWS

FROM [PA]

WHERE ( [Location].[Name].&[Southern High School], [School Dates].[Active].DEFAULTMEMBER )

• Marked as answer by puffster Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:06 PM

All replies

• Can you provide the MDX that you are using currently and what you would like the expected results to be?

The only PPS built-in item that I can think of that you could use to hide data in is a scorecard.  Your other options would be Excel and Reporting Services.

If you provide the MDX we can probably come up with a workaround by doing a dummy measure or turning a attribute into a measure to get at a result.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to help!  To give a little more background, I'm wanting the grid report to be a "detail report" for a scorecard, both of which will live inside a dashboard.  The scorecard looks like this:

At Competency         Needs More Practice          Competency Target
    Test 1             113                            37                                  75.3%
    Test 2             130                            20                                  86.7%

The goal is that when a user clicks in the individual test cell for "At Competency" or "Needs More Practice", my Grid Report will display showing the Test, Teacher Name, Period Together, & Student Name that make up that cell's number.  The MDX I have put together looks like this:

SELECT
    { [Measures].[At Competency] }
    ON COLUMNS,

NON EMPTY HIERARCHIZE( { [Proficiency Assessment].[Test-Standard].[All] } ) * { [Teacher].[Name].[Name].ALLMEMBERS } * HIERARCHIZE( { [Teacher-Period-Student].[Period].[All] } ) * { [Student].[Name].[Name].ALLMEMBERS }
    ON ROWS

FROM [Proficiency Assessment]

WHERE ( [Location].[Name].&[Southern High School] )

My current result set looks like this:

Test-Standard           Teacher Name         Teacher-Period-Student          Student Name           At Competency

Test 1                       Teacher 1                            3                            Student 1                        7
    Test 1                       Teacher 1                            5                            Student 2                        5

I'm afraid that last column, "At Competency", is going to cause confusion - it's a measure and was never meant to be displayed to the user. 

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:55 PM
  • I'm not going to say this is the perfect solution, but it's kind of close.  What I have done is created a calculated measure to be my column value, and I'm making the value of this measure a single space, with the heading a dash.  So the column will appear, but it is very small and has nothing in it.  

With Member [Measures].[-] as
     IIF(
       [Measures].[Needs Additional Practice] > 0,
       ' ',
       null
       )
    SELECT
    NON EMPTY { [Measures].[-] }
    ON COLUMNS,

NON EMPTY { [Proficiency Assessment].[Test-Standard].DEFAULTMEMBER } * { [Teacher].[Teacher Name].[Teacher Name].ALLMEMBERS } * { [Teacher-Period-Student].[Period].[Period].ALLMEMBERS } * { [Student].[Student Name].[Student Name].ALLMEMBERS }
    ON ROWS

FROM [PA]

WHERE ( [Location].[Name].&[Southern High School], [School Dates].[Active].DEFAULTMEMBER )

• Marked as answer by puffster Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:06 PM