Applications keep ducking under the taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Since Screens have become wider I found that docking the task bar of the left hand side of my laptop screen.  some applications, including iTunes, consistently duck under the locked taskbar and I have to drag them out.  Any idea how to fix this?  I know that the problem is probably with the 3rd party apps but there are a few of them and it is really annoying.  Any ideas?

Friday, August 5, 2011 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi John, you said.. "Any idea how to fix this? I know that the problem is probably with the 3rd party apps but there are a few of them and it is really annoying. Any ideas?"

Well, I've noticed it happening here on some programs too. And my taskbar is on the bottom of the screen. Some of the programs windows will store your settings on close - so with these simply move them to where you want them and close them. Reopening will bring them to your location as set.

Of course others always open in the same spot. Mine tend to be off the bottom of the screen generally.

If you want the window to open full screen on loading - right click on its shortcut, go to properties - and shortcut menu therein, change the usual "Normal Window" to "Maximize" - apply the change.

It'd be good to be able to define the window dimensions and first pixel location - I'm not sure if you can - it'd be in the registry perhaps, but most likely that's hard coded in the .Exe

This could help you for some programs at least though.

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 5, 2011 4:51 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Hello John,

Have you had a chance to install SP1 yet? I recently worked an issue just like this and for whatever reason, after SP1 I was not able to repro the issue.

Additionally, try locking your pc with windows+L and then unlocking it. Check the behavior of the task bar. Are applications still maxamizing behind it or is the behavior normal now?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Michael.

Friday, August 12, 2011 2:06 PM
  • I have installed SP-1 and come to think of it that is about the time the problem started.  Can't say for sure.  Locking and on locking has not changed the behavior, but thanks for the suggestion.

regards

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:49 PM
  • If you drag the Task Bar to the right of the screen, or to the top, does that change the behavior?

Michael. [MSFT]
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:37 PM
  • If I drag it to the right side it docks to the right side but at a smaller size (I think this is standard behavior for Windows 7).  Cant tell at the top of the screen because I can't really drag a maximized application off the top.  BTW, do you know if others are experiencing this behavior?

thanks

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:21 PM
  • I have noticed this a few times myself (W7HP SP1 x64) and it hadn't occurred to me until this thread that it's only happened since SP1.

I've now implemented a 3rd party fix for window positioning of all windows from all apps called WindowManager from Desksoft. Costs $10 bucks but you might want to take a look (or at freeware ShellFolderFix).

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:47 PM