none
GPO - "Turn on recommeded updates" not installing particular update categorized as important

Question

• I have a weird issue with three Server 2012 R2 servers. They are scheduled to update through a GPO with the settings.

Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

Configure Automatic Updates
    Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
    Scheduled install day: 0 - Every day
    Scheduled install time: 03:00

Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates
    Enabled

The "Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates" settings should make sure that both Important and Recommended updates are included.

Even though Important updates ought to be installed update KB3102467 "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 for Windows Server 2012 R2 x64" is not installed. It's listed in the update view as an Important update and published 2016-02-09 but it's not installed by the automatic updates for some strange reason.

Any ideas as to why this particular important update is not applied automatically?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:43 PM

All replies

• So this only happens with this particular update.

Does this happen on all three Windows 2012 R2 servers? What if you download and install it manually?

Also, check if the installation of the .NET Framework 4.6.1 is blocked on these servers by checking the registry key mentioned in this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3133990

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:04 AM
  • That's correct.

• Only this particular update (so far).
    • Only on (and on all) Server 2012 R2 servers.
    • The register key you linked is not set on any of the Servers affected.

Quite weird. I will try to apply them manually. It still would be interesting to find out why they haven't been installed automatically if it's possible to figure out.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:22 PM
  • Any security softwares configured in your environment which might be blocking this from being installed?

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 19, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Nope, none (I'm aware of anyway :)).
    Monday, February 22, 2016 7:26 AM
  • So what's the result if you install them manually?

This info from the kB might be helpful:

"When synchronized with Microsoft Update server or Microsoft Update Catalog site for importing updates, you will see that there are two updates with the .NET Framework 4.6.1 being published for each platform...

• One of the .NET Framework 4.6.1 updates will install only on computers that have an earlier version such as the .NET Framework 4.5.1, or 4.5.2 installed.
    • The other .NET Framework 4.6.1 update will install on those computers that either have the .NET Framework 4.6 installed or no .NET Framework installed.

"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102467

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for chipping in Jacob.

The servers have .NET 4.5.2 installed (checked registry as per THIS guide).

So I'm still confused as to why they aren't applied automatically. I installed the KB3102467 update manually on one of the servers. Now that server has three Security Updates for .NET 4.6 and 4.6.1 labeled important waiting. Neither is installed automatically by scheduled windows update.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:48 AM
  • From what I see, actually Group Policy is not invloved here (Only this specific update is not applied automatically). Probably, try in a dedicated forum. There maybe you will get more experienced responses?
    Friday, February 26, 2016 8:56 AM