none
Local printer install RRS feed

• Question

• The answer may be simple but what i'm trying to do is create a .bat file or vb script which will install a dymo lablel writer 450 that will install drivers and set the printer to default.  So far I have not found a script that is simple enough to accomplish this or I just haven't looked in the right place.  Any insight or info you can provide would be greatly apppreciated.  Here are a little more specifics on what i'm attempting to accomplish.

- Environment is locked down to regular user base. 

- .bat or vbs script will be placed on an internal web page and run by users to have printer and drivers installed.

- need the script to also set Dymo printer as default printer.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:47 PM

Answers

• I would recommend contacting the vendor for instructions, as it's doubtful anyone in this forum has the resources to replicate your setup and produce a working turnkey solution for you.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:41 PM

All replies

• Start here: Deploying Printers by Using Group Policy

Further questions should be addressed to the Group Policy forum.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:15 PM
  • We have looked at the GPO solution but since it is a small subset of workstations it wouldn't make sense to have a GPO for 4 workstations.  Also the Dymo LabelWriter is not a network printer it is connected via usb!
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:36 PM
  • I would recommend contacting the vendor for instructions, as it's doubtful anyone in this forum has the resources to replicate your setup and produce a working turnkey solution for you.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:41 PM
  • We do not have a script like that (perhaps someone at Stackoverflow does) but, since we are talking about 4 workstations, why not use a silent install?

If the installation file (DLS8Setup.exe) is installed in C:\temp, the command would be:

C:\temp\DLS8Setup.exe

A few command line parameters are supported: 

/S - will run the installer silently. 

/p - (printer drivers) allows for a printer drivers-only install

/u - will install for the ‘current user’ only. 

/D=c:\temp -  allows the user to specify the installation directory. 

It must be the last parameter used in the command line and must NOT contain any quotes, even if the path contains spaces. Only absolute paths are supported.

Some examples:
    C:\temp\DLS8Setup.exe /S         ;a silent install
    C:\temp\DLS8Setup.exe /S /p     ;a silent, printer drivers – only install

^CM

DYMOsupport

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:06 AM
  • (This discussion is probably more appropriate for the vendor's support forum rather than here, since this is a general Windows scripting forum.)

Friday, November 21, 2014 4:09 PM