Where are IIS sites hosted ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in process of deploying an internet facing site with FBA. I have added a new front-end server in DMZ. On my internal server, I have created a new web app for this and extended it. so not I have 2 separate sites with different port numbers. I will use one for internet and another fot intranet access.

Hope that made sense.

So my questions are:

1. For internet facing site, do I use the extended site or the default main site? Does it matter?

2. It seems that the new front-end server does not actually host the sites. They are hosted on the internal server? Why is that? e.g. If I stop web application on the new front-end server, I am still able to see the website. But if I stop it on the internal front-end server, I am not able to browse the site.

So what is the use of the 2nd front-end server in DMZ?

3. If I want to implement SSL, will I need to install it front-end in DMZ or internal front-end server?

Thanks for you help,

Chintan

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 15, 2011 5:32 AM Prefix removed.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• For internet facing site, do I use the extended site or the default main site? Does it matter?

Extending the default main site or not is completely up to your choice. Typically, we extend the site to have different authentication providers associated with it. Eg, One we can have windows authentication and the other we could have forms authentication. It is not absolute necessary to extend the site.  

•  It seems that the new front-end server does not actually host the sites. They are hosted on the internal server? Why is that? e.g. If I stop web application on the new front-end server, I am still able to see the website. But if I stop it on the internal front-end server, I am not able to browse the site. 

When you have two web front ends, the web application service needs to be running on both the front ends. The main reason of having two W.F.E server is to balance the load between two servers. You probably have a load balancer which will solve this purpose. The "internal server" is probably the only server where the webapplication service is running at this point.

Thanks

V
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Hi pintu,

As long as you play by SharePoint's rules you don't have to worry about the multiple Web front ends. SharePoint will automatically make the changes on all of them. So the IIS sites will be hosted on every web front end.

However if you go and make modifications in IIS manager or the file system (could be web.config) then you have to make these modifications to all Web front ends (also the ones you'll add in the future)

So always do all your modifications through Central Admin, STSADM or the object model.

As V284 said, you have two web front end(WFE) servers, you need to deploy network load balancing for WFE. Office SharePoint Server 2007 supports two methods of load balancing:

·         Software, such as Network Load Balancing (NLB) services in the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system.

·         Hardware, such as a router or a switch box.

For the detailed information about web server redundancy, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263044(office.12).aspx

For more information about SharePoint server 2007 and NLB, please refer to the following articles:

http://hermansberghem.blogspot.com/2007/07/sharepoint-2007-and-network-load.html

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/b17c0187-e117-49ec-8192-1f678fe1b07b

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joelo/archive/2007/01/05/nlb-network-load-balancing-and-sharepoint-troubleshooting-and-configuration-tips.aspx

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hi pintu,

I just want to say hello to know if our suggestion is helpful. If you have any questions, please drop me a note.

Thanks,

Rock Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:14 AM