I have "A disk read error occurred Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart" when I turn the computer. RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to turn on my computer, and it is dead. It's an older Dell and have Windows XP. It goes to the initial Dell Screen, then the screen goes black with the message "a disk read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" I placed the windows disk that came with the computer in the drive, restarted it, but it still goes to the black screen. I'm not a computer-person, if I could get step by step instructions to get through this, it would be much appreciated.

Friday, January 21, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The problem occurs because the Setup process in the earlier version of Windows tries to overwrite the boot sector on the primary Windows partition.

If you have the installation disk, try to replace there files ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini in Windows RE. A clean install can also resolve the issue at the expense of losing data.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:09 AM