Upgrading package, old files/programs deleted out of package without me wanting it RRS feed

• Question

• I have a package that was a simple next-next-next MSI setup. There is now a new version out that resolves some issues, so I want to upgrade the existing app. I install the new MSI which detects the program as installed and then upgrades it. Now when sequencing is complete programs are missing out of the package. Am I going about upgrading the app the wrong way? Is there a way to "uninstall" the app once it is loaded in the sequencer so I can reinstall the app again from scratch?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• It all depends on how the original installer behaves. In your case it sounds like upgrade installer  did not work well with VE being active, that happens sometimes.

Can you enter into Add/Remove programs (or Programs in new Windowses) and see the entry for application there while in the monitoring mode? If so, you can trigger uninstall from there like you would with traditional installs. If not, you could have MSI for original version copied to the disk (before monitoring, of course) and use Uninstall action from the context menu while monitoring is running. Then install the new application.

But it really boils down to if you want to upgrade your existing package like this; if application does not contain any significant cached settings on the App-V Client for users, I would recommend re-packaging to new sequence as you are going to remove all of the files and replace them anyways with the method above. If persisting cached settings for the package IS important, then of course you need to do something like thi.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 10:27 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Not really sure exactly how you sequenced the upgrade and where those "missing" apps are supposed to be coming from. See the sequencing whitepaper (chapter 9) and check if you follow the steps correctly;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Generally - I always use a clean sequencer.

/Znack

Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:01 PM
  • It all depends on how the original installer behaves. In your case it sounds like upgrade installer  did not work well with VE being active, that happens sometimes.

Can you enter into Add/Remove programs (or Programs in new Windowses) and see the entry for application there while in the monitoring mode? If so, you can trigger uninstall from there like you would with traditional installs. If not, you could have MSI for original version copied to the disk (before monitoring, of course) and use Uninstall action from the context menu while monitoring is running. Then install the new application.

But it really boils down to if you want to upgrade your existing package like this; if application does not contain any significant cached settings on the App-V Client for users, I would recommend re-packaging to new sequence as you are going to remove all of the files and replace them anyways with the method above. If persisting cached settings for the package IS important, then of course you need to do something like thi.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 10:27 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I have the package in SCCM already and I don't want to go about creating a new package, there are also some user configured settings that I don't want to have to redo.

I thought about just hitting uninstall on the MSI since it does see it in the registry and yeah that worked.

Friday, October 1, 2010 12:51 PM