Windows 7 Home Premium Hardware Reserved 2166 MB Can't Be Reduced by All Methods Suggested RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 2gb RAM cards and a completely updated MSI motherboard. I don't need more than 4gb for my use and haven't had a problem until recently when the amount of hardware reserved memory about doubled. I have taken the suggestions of about a half dozen experts, using the msconfig unclicking of Maximum Memory, going into regedit and changing the 0 to a 1 in the Memory Management section, switching my RAM cards, and my RAM is still stuck at 2166 gb. There is no memory mapping option on my motherboard. I have 4gb installed but only 1.45gb usable, and that's just not enough.

What's extra strange is that it wasn't like this until recently, and, I believe that when I updated one of the drivers, it changed the hardware reserved amount. What happens when every method to fix this problem doesn't fix the problem in my case and why is it not working for me when the problem seems to be resolved by one or the other of the above mentioned fixes for others? My next step is to try to change the amount of memory being reserved the graphics card, because I have read that it's usually the graphics driver that reserves extra memory.

Do you have any other suggestions? I do have my Windows 7 completely updated and all my drivers are also updated to the most current versions. Thank you.
    Sunday, October 30, 2016 11:02 AM

Answers

• 1st,ram  cards need to be of the same type (one sided chips or 2sided) some pcs wont run with both.Also,the

OS uses ram & virtual memory,in advanced OS properties (virtual memory) set C: to "let system manage"

click set 2X,exit restart pc..As for memory mgmt.,that was a XP trick,intel shows as performance gain,but

starting with vista,its questionable,even bad effects,task mgr will confirm this,CPU/memory use.Also,if its a

desktop pc,replace the MB battery,or if laptop/notepad,try running with charger installed,a faulty battery

creates odd pc/OS settings.As for drivers,and the OS/hardware,only chipset software/drivers,networking

controller,& storage software (if RAID able) are the only drivers needed,chk pc mfg web,or intel.com/support

this being a intel-based pc.

Monday, October 31, 2016 3:20 AM