Windows Server 2016 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am looking to connect a  mix of Dell wyse Thin Clients and workstations running Windows 7 home editions to Windows Server 2016 Essentials via RDP, from reading info it appears as though Windows Server 2016 Essentials has 2 licences and I have to purchase more ?

Also the note below about RD Gateway service, is this what I need ?

Notes About Windows Server 2016 Essentials :

***Only RD Gateway service is installed and configured, other remote services (including RD session host) are not supported.

Wyse 3040 Thin Client
    Wyse 3040 Thin Client
    Wyse 3040 Thin Client
    Wyse 3040 Thin Client
    Wyse 3040 Thin Client
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot use Windows Server Essentials as a Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH).  You need to use either Standard or Datacenter editions.

It doesn't matter if you purchase RDS CALs or not, Essentials is not supported and is limited to 2 sessions for administrative purposes only.

-TP

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

In general, Windows Server Essentials is used for small business network and it supports up to 25 user accounts and up to 50 devices. And it must be PDC which holds all FSMO roles.

I want to confirm with you if you want to provide remote desktop connection to Windows Server Essentials? Or, just want to provide remote access to internal resources? 

In general, as WSE, it provides functions Remote Web Access (with RD Getaway and IIS enabled and configured) to provides external client the ability to access internal resources, such as share folders, remote desktop to internal system(WSE itself only allow 2 simultaneously sessions for admin purpose), and resource link.

If you need RDS deployment, then, additional Windows Server might be needed, and you can install and configure RDS on the member server. However, WSE still only allows 2 simultaneously sessions for admin purpose.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot use Windows Server Essentials as a Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH).  You need to use either Standard or Datacenter editions.

It doesn't matter if you purchase RDS CALs or not, Essentials is not supported and is limited to 2 sessions for administrative purposes only.

-TP

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

In general, Windows Server Essentials is used for small business network and it supports up to 25 user accounts and up to 50 devices. And it must be PDC which holds all FSMO roles.

I want to confirm with you if you want to provide remote desktop connection to Windows Server Essentials? Or, just want to provide remote access to internal resources? 

In general, as WSE, it provides functions Remote Web Access (with RD Getaway and IIS enabled and configured) to provides external client the ability to access internal resources, such as share folders, remote desktop to internal system(WSE itself only allow 2 simultaneously sessions for admin purpose), and resource link.

If you need RDS deployment, then, additional Windows Server might be needed, and you can install and configure RDS on the member server. However, WSE still only allows 2 simultaneously sessions for admin purpose.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:09 AM