Steady State Timer not displaying in a domain environment RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reloaded a PC with a new XP OS SP2.  I installed SteadyState on the PC and the Group Policy on the Domain is configured for 30min before logoff.  My problem is that the timer does not display on the screen when logged in.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Dldab,

I did a test on my local machine. Although the group policy is working, the countdown timer will not appear either. I will report this issue to our product team to confirm whether this is a by design behavior, or a bug.

Best Regards,

Thursday, November 1, 2007 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Dldab,

I did a test on my local machine. Although the group policy is working, the countdown timer will not appear either. I will report this issue to our product team to confirm whether this is a by design behavior, or a bug.

Best Regards,

Thursday, November 1, 2007 10:03 AM
  • Have you found out any other information regarding this problem? 

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:01 PM
  •  Hi Brian,

You can manually start SCTUINotify.exe (which is responsible for the timer) from the following location to check if there is any change.

C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

You can also add the shortcut of the application to the following folder to force it run when user logs on:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Note: This will apply to all users.

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Note: Apply only to a specific user account.

Hope the above info helps.

Regards,

Friday, November 30, 2007 10:59 AM
  •  

Actually the timer that I am having a problem with is the one associated with the forcelogoff.exe program when the computer has been left idle for an amount of time.  I believe it is supposed to have a small blue box that appears in the middle of the screen and initiates a beeping sound for a couple of seconds before logging off.  Problem is I do not see that when it the group policy is applied to a network user.  I did see it though when I logged on as a user on the local machine.

When a network user logs in, the computer will logoff the user without any warning.

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:15 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Sorry for my understanding. If that's the case, it should be an expected issue.

There are two kinds of log off within SteadyState:

1. Force log off (Log off after _ minutes of use)

2. Idle Log off (Log off after _ minutes idle)

Only the second has "a small blue box that appears in the middle of the screen and initiates a beeping sound for a couple of seconds before logging off". User can terminate it and continue using the computer. However, the first kind is achieved through a command, which will not display any interface.

The group policy in SCTSettings.adm is: "Force logoff after specified number of minutes (Windows SteadyState must be installed)", obviously, it's the first kind and will not display the message you mentioned. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Monday, December 3, 2007 12:34 PM
  • The problem that I found was that the Group Policy Object was restore from the old Group Policy.  Once I created a whole new Group Policy and just adjusted the SteadyState Admin template, then it worked fine.  This was done after I was on the phone with Microsoft for many, many hours.  Hope this helps all.

Monday, December 3, 2007 7:41 PM