none
Adding Monitor server role RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Lync server with edge presence installed and working. I am looking to roll out a monitor server role, but we are running SQL 2008 sp1 express on the Front End (standard edition). The tools that come with SQL 2008 sp1 express are very limited. There is no SQL management studio. How would I get the SQL server reporting service setup and is it possible to get a management studio for this version of SQL? If someone could point me in the right direction on how to backup our existing database via command line nad tell me what product to install for the SQL tools, I believe I know the rest for getting the monitoring server. Adding the reports is easy if the tools are there. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:42 AM

Answers

• you can put the monitoring server role on a different server than lync or sql.  Monitoring can log to a sql database that is not local.  The main concern in all of this is keeping the lync standard edition server completely isolated from other server roles.

In your situation:

1. Install domain member

2. install monitoring Server Role

3. During install configure monitoring to use the database on the sql server

4. Install the reporting server package to use the existing reporting url

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” if this resolved the issue.

• Marked as answer by jisenberg Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• I am a little confused about what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to add the monitoring server database on the same server that is running Lync?  If so this is not supported.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398131.aspx

Also note that SQL express is really not supported for any server roles.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413054.aspx

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:14 PM
  • According to the first link, under databases, the sql database on standard edition cannot be moved to another server. So I am confused by the adding monitoring to our Lync server is not supported.

Okay, the express version of MSSQL 2008 is not in your supported list of sql databases. Am I the only one using express for Lync? How would I be able to move the database? Do I have to re-install my whole Lync server to Enterprise version to get it to work with a separate SQL database on another server? Is there an upgrade path?

Where I am at is, we have a standard edition Lync server with and edge server and I want monitoring services. How can I get there? Is it supported under standard edition at all?

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:23 PM
  • You need to install another server for monitoring.  You can install sql on this third server and the monitoring and archiving services can be co-located.  The links do have the answers you are looking for? 

Quote "By default, the SQL Server Express back-end database is collocated on the Standard Edition server. You cannot move it to a separate computer. You cannot collocate other databases on the Standard Edition server"

This is the answer

If you install enterprise edition the SQL server cannot be on one of the front end servers but a new database could be added to that instance and used for monitoring.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Brummett Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:08 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

1. SQL Server Express doesn’t install SQL Server Management Studio by default. You can install MS SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Express on SQL Server Express separately.

To backup Lync database, we not only use SQL Server Management Studio to backup Archiving, Monitoring data, but also run lync powershell to export CMS data, Location information service data and Response Group configuration data. For details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202171.aspx

In addition, we can also try to use script to backup Lync database.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uc_mess/archive/2011/03/17/lync_2d00_server_2d00_2010_2d00_backup_2d00_instructions.aspx

2. Monitoring Server databases require the full edition of SQL Server. SQL Server Express is not supported. You can collocate Monitoring Server role and Monitoring Server databases on another server.

Regards,

Kent

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:20 AM
  • To have my monitoring server collocated, does it require a Lync installation on the SQL server where I want to host the reports? Is there a step by step guide for doing a standard edition collocation of the monitoring server?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:39 AM
  • You cannot have a monitoring server supported on the Lync server.  There is a guide that says you cannot collocate the monitoring server with a standard edition server.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:54 PM
  • So, we cannot run a monitoring service if we have standard edition? Someone has be running it somewhere, why else would it show in the topology tree as an option. What options do we have with running a standard edition?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:49 PM
  • You can run a monitoring server on another server and it has to connect to a different database than the SQL express being used by lync. 

Example:

1.Build Domain Member

2.Install SQL

3.Install Reporting Services

4.Install the Monitoring Server Software on Said Machine

5.Install Monitoring Server Pack for Lync

Now you have a monitoring server.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Thank you Jay. Now to make it even more confusing... We have a separate enterprise version of SQL (2005) that has the reporting features and IIS alreday running on it, but I would like to not install Lync applications on it. From what I am seeing, is it possible to add a monitoring server by adding the reports to the Enterprise SQL box and creating a new server for the monitoring role (with Lync applications). The thought is a licensing restriction. We don't want another Enterprise SQL install as it would require another license. Plus, we have an Enterprise SQL installation that has ample room to support an instance for the monitor. Is this type of setup feasible?

I honestly don't want to sound appreciative of the help. I am very appreciative of any guidance this forum can offer. I am just trying to see what my options are and the proper steps that works for our environment here. Thank you everyone.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:19 PM
  • you can put the monitoring server role on a different server than lync or sql.  Monitoring can log to a sql database that is not local.  The main concern in all of this is keeping the lync standard edition server completely isolated from other server roles.

In your situation:

1. Install domain member

2. install monitoring Server Role

3. During install configure monitoring to use the database on the sql server

4. Install the reporting server package to use the existing reporting url

• Marked as answer by jisenberg Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Thank you. That is perfect. Are there any step by step guides to this process? Just to verify the work is correct. If not, no big deal. I appreciate your help Jay.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:44 AM
  • You can find the deployment documents at this location.  You would just go through the steps in both the archiving and monitoring documents.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398616.aspx

Thanks

Jay

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:27 PM