none
Does the FIM Synch Database require an intial load before the FIMPortal will return users? RRS feed

• Question

• I figured when I search in the portal for a user it hit Active Directory for the information? But the only user it returns is my account.

And is there a VISIO diagram showing the flow of a request from the FIMPortal to wherever it gets the data? Like, what is the hook into Exchange for. I actually thought the info user profile info was pulled through exchange somehow, my second guess was AD and my third was through the FIMSync database.

Thanks,

Phil

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:25 PM

All replies

• It search in the portal database.

It may hit AD before to check your account for authorizationv(when it checks if you have right to open portal).

Data into portal are written by FIM Management agent from FIM Sync. FIM Sync should get data from AD (including Exchange attributes) by using AD Management Agent.

Borys Majewski, Identity Management Solutions Architect (Blog: IDArchitect.NET)

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:29 PM
  • FIM has 2 separate databases - one for the FIM Sync engine and one for the FIM service (i.e. the portal). The portal gets all its info from the portal database, and the sync engine from the sync service database

Now, that is not to say these 2 DB's are completely unreleated. Usually, you would import the data from AD using the AD management agent, and store that into the fim sync database. Then, you would export this data into the FIM portal (i.e. the fim service database) using the FIM MA. 

In terms of your guesses, your third one comes closest - the data displayed in the portal is pulled from the FIM Service database (although some data like attributes in a sync rule are pulled directly from the sync database)

The portal will never pull any data directly from a target system, the data from the target system must be pulled into the FIM databases using the sync console first and the portal will display this data.

Hope that helps

• Edited by kmittal82 Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:53 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:06 PM