none
how to buy windows 2012r2 for use on VM

Question

• 1. If we have Windows 2012R2 STD open license 1 license with Microsoft Part Number P73-06285

Can I have authorize to use on VM whether or not ?

if can , how many VM to use per 1 physical server ?

2. if we have 2 Physical sever (2 processor per server) and 4 VM I would like to know how many license for window 2012R2

that we should buy?

please kindly answer me.

Regards,

Mingkwan

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

One standard server 2012R2 license may allow two VM instances running on it .

If I recall it correctly , you may need to call Microsoft to get the key for VM activation (For details ,please contact with Microsoft ).

As you mentioned , you have two server (I assume that will run windows server 2012R2 standard version) and you want to run 4 VMs on them .

If it is the case , you may only need two license for two server if two VMs run on each physical server .

But , if you want to build a cluster against two physical server , you may need to by 4 standard licenses , because it is possible to run 4 VMs on one physical server (If I recall it correctly ).

Actually , license issue is out the scope of what we can support here .

I'd still suggest you contact with Microsoft to get the accurate answer :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/Licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx

Hope it is helpful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:39 PM