Windows Vista cant see the windows installation when repairing RRS feed

• Question

•  

Whilst fixing my friends pc his installation no longer boots, so i boot up from the DVD and select "repair" (on the install now screen), when selecting this, windows does not see a previous installation to repair.

(i have done alot of XP repairs and had this situation before, everytime i have had to do a complete installation from scratch)

Is this going to be the case with this one or does VIsta have any other functionality to repair this

Also my friend has an OEM vista DVD, would i have any problems activating this with Microsoft if i went for an Clean install? (as it has already been activated)

cheers

phil

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:00 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Phil,

In Windows Vista, we cannot boot from the Windows Vista disk to repair the system. Instead, we can perform an In-place Upgrade installation of Windows Vista after booting to the system. An In-place Upgrade installation is similar to System Repair in Windows XP. It will replace all system files and not affect your personal files and third-party programs. Here are the steps how to perform an In-place Upgrade In-place Upgrade:

1. Boot into Windows Vista.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Note: We may need to reactivate the system after the upgrade.

However, as you cannot boot to Windows Vista now, we cannot perform an In-place Upgrade installation.

Another method to fix boot issues is to boot from the Windows Vista disk and perform a Startup Repair. Startup Repair can automatically replace missing system files, but may not detect corrupted files. However, as you cannot even see the system, I am afraid we cannot use this method either.

Based on the current situation, can you let me know what error message appears on the screen when booting the computer?

As for the OEM Windows Vista DVD question, I recommend contacting the OEM for detailed information. Different OEM DVDs are not the same.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:11 AM