Boot Time scan RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, quick question, does Forefront Client Security have the ability to do a boot time scan?  If not, does this affect the ability for forefront to clean a machine in some cases?   Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    This is a very intresting question. I'm afraid the answer för FCS v.1 is "No". And i have not heard anything on this for V.2 yet. It's hard to give a definite answer to whether this affects FCS abillity to clean certain types of malware, but i would say yes. In the case of certain rootkits a boot scan is a good approach. However if you are running a boot scan i'm guessing that you are suspecting something and if that's the case i suggest you boot from a winPE CD and run an offline scan, this would give you the same results and in certain cases even better results. If you can do this with FCS, i'm not sure. i'll have to try myself and post back.

Microsoft has a written paper on this

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6cd853ce-f349-4a18-a14f-c99b64adfbea&displaylang=en

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Monday, December 22, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Okay, thanks for the reply.  From my basic checking on v2 i don't see this functionality unfortuently.    Let me know if you discover anything else, thanks!
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:26 PM