moss 2007 to 2010 migration failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After restoring and attaching the old database i get this error, when visiting moss2010.
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5 Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:16:14 GMT Connection: close

I will show how i tried to upgrade moss 2007 to 2010, hopefulle someone can telle me, what i did wrong.

First i upgraded moss 2007 to SP2. I ran the preupgradecheck and got these errors:

FeatureInfo... Failed
    OSPrerequisite... Failed (since i am moving to a new server, i assume i can ignore this error).

I took a look at the log file which shows the following line:
    Name = [Unknown], Feature id = [3ead887d-cd3f-48f6-874d-c5e4fe29dfe1], Reference count = [1], Scope = [Web], Status = [Missing]
    I tried googling the ID, but didn't get any hits, so i ignored the error, and continued.....

Next i took a backup of the old WSS_content database and copied it to the new moss 2010 server.
    Created a new empty database, and then restored the old one, checked Overwrite the existing database option. Named the database moss2007upgrade.
    ran Test-SPContentDatabase -Name moss2007upgrade -WebApplication http://moss2010:10568 (not really sure what port to use, i have tried this with both deafult port 80, and the central administartion port, in this case 10568) and got the following error:
    Test-SPContentDatabase : Cannot open database "moss2007upgrade" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'domain\Administrator'.

Then i went into central administration and deleted the old wss_content database, that was created, when i installed moss 2010.

I tried running the following command
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://moss2010:10568 -databasename moss2007upgrade  (again not sure what port to use, so i tried both 80 and 10568).
    After 20 sec, i got "command completed successfully".

Tried to open http://moss2010 and got the error mentioned in the beginning of this post.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info.

/Michael
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:03 PM

Answers

• Are you set up with Server Roles for the Administrator with options like dbcreator, public, securityadmin or sysadmin?
    • Marked as answer by MrMvp Friday, May 7, 2010 12:07 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure what the script does, but did you rerun this command with the proper DB permissions given to the administrator?

Test-SPContentDatabase : Cannot open database "moss2007upgrade" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'domain\Administrator'

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Im not really sure why i am unable to run that command, as far as i can tell the administrator has permissions. Then again, i have never really worked with sql.

when checking Security -> Logins, domain\administrator is listed. When checking user mappings, he had db_owner and public permissions listed for the database
    Then checking Properties -> Permissions -> view server permissions on the database, the administrator is listed.

/Michael
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:35 PM
  • it's my same problem... hope someone help us with this?

Login failed for user 'domain\Administrator'

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Are you set up with Server Roles for the Administrator with options like dbcreator, public, securityadmin or sysadmin?
    • Marked as answer by MrMvp Friday, May 7, 2010 12:07 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:17 PM
  • I wasen't, but now i just set them, that didn't help.
    /Michael
    Friday, May 7, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Ok i reinstalled everything, gave the permissions you wrote, and now i managed to run the test command.

I still get this error though

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5 Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 11:16:14 GMT Connection: close

I get it even if i just create a new web application, without doing anything else, so the problem isen't really the database i am trying to import, it is sharepoint. I havent got a clue how to fix it though.

/Michael
    Friday, May 7, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Ok, i got it working now, after another reinstallation, unfortunetly not really sure what went wrong before.
    /Michael
    Friday, May 7, 2010 12:07 PM
  • same problem...  I was fooling around with alternate access mappings, then I deleted my web application to start over again, and now no matter what I do any web applications I create all give the above error starting with http/1.1

the only one that works is the sharepoint administration site, any other site I create fails...  persists after rebooting the sp and sql servers...

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:50 PM
  • I had the same problem "HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5 Date/Time Connection: close" - I think when we create a new site we expect that it will create a site collection in the root http://sharepointsite/ but it doesn't.  I create a site collection then it works.  Haven't tried upgrading or attaching an existing content database yet, but at least I have a working 2010 site to play with...

btw - you can see if there are any site collections in Central Admin Console->Application Management->View All Site Collections

- if you go to Central Admin Console->Application Management->Manage Content Databases it will show you if there are any site collections

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Okay, I attached my content db now which works but I had errors that indicate I need to install a few solutions.  If you are wondering, the command is
    stsadm -o addcontentdb -url <URL> -databasename <database name>.  You can run a test with 
    Test-SPContentDatabase –Name <database name> -WebApplication <URL>

If you created a content db before you would need to delete it from application management->databases (does not delete the db on the SQL server)

Found this guide concise and to the point http://sharepointgeorge.com/2009/upgrading-content-database-sharepoint-2010-database-attach-method/
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:36 AM