none
Distribute Estimated Man days for non-bau activity in MPP Resource Plan RRS feed

All replies

• Your question has been here for a couple of days and so far no one has had a shot at it. I know why. It is difficult to figure out what you are getting at, what you are trying to do and what the problem is.

This is what I think you are getting at. A resource is assigned to various project tasks, but not fully assigned to the limit of his availability. During the unused part of the availability, when not working on the project tasks, the resource does something such as works on other projects, or sweeps the floor or runs errands. You want to account for his non-project time.

This is inconsistent with basic tenets of project management. What is done inside the project boundary is accounted for. Accounting for what is outside of the project is a separate problem (someone else's). You could, of course, include some sort of pseudo task that soaks up the resource otherwise unused availability. That's up to you but it seems unnecessary to me.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Thanks Trevor. I understand the project management concept. I am doing the resource forecasting for the firm.

Cheers, Badal Ratra MCTS

Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:26 AM
  • Badal --

Do the following with your support schedule:

1.  Set the Task Type to Fixed Duration, non-Effort Driven for every task in the schedule and then enter the planned Duration for every task as well.

2.  Click File > Options > Schedule.

3.  In the Scheduling Options for This Project section, set the Work Is Entered In value to Days.

4.  Click the OK button.

5.  Display the Gantt Chart view, then right-click in the Gantt Chart pane and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu (this will display the Task Entry view).

6.  Select the first task in the support schedule.

7.  In the Task Form pane, select the name of each resource in the Resource Name column, and then enter the Man Days value for each resource in the Work column.

8.  Click the OK button to complete the assignments (ignore the Units value for each resource, as they are irrelevant at this point).

9.  Click the Next button to select the next task and then repeat this process for every task in the schedule.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:48 PM