none
Mapping a 'strategic driver' field in sharepoint 'ideas' list to enterprise custom field in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experimenting with the PO Strategy and Portfolio Analyses tool.

I have a sharepoint list within the PO site collection containing our project proposals. This list includes the 'drivers' which match the drivers set up within Project Online to do the analysis with. 

The problem i have is that i seem unable to map the sharepoint list field to the PO driver when 'creating project' from the sharepoint list - even though the Sharepoint list fields are a 6 button radio choice field. I can map other fields without issue. 

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:48 PM

Answers

• Dale is correct. You cannot use the out of the box "Strategic Impact" drivers, to map with your SharePoint List.

If your process dictates that you need the SharePoint List to collect the strategic drivers, then here is an alternative:

1) Create the custom fields you need in Project Online to match with the drivers in your SharePoint list.

2) Map them to the SharePoint list, so that they get populated into project.

3) while setting up of the analysis, choose to use the "Custom Field" method. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by ShaunieM Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:52 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 7:02 PM

All replies

• ShaunieM --

What you want to do is not how Project Online works.  Each of your proposed projects needs to be created from an Enterprise Project Type (EPT) from the Project Center page in PWA.  The EPT must include the Business Case and Strategic Impact PDPs (Project Detail Pages).  When you create a new proposed project from the EPT, you will fill out the Business Case page and save it.  Then you will fill out the Strategic Impact save and save it.  If you have a SharePoint workflow attached to the EPT, you will then submit the new proposed project to the workflow for approval.

From your description, I believe you are not doing any of the above.  I would recommend you start over and complete the steps listed above for each of your organization's proposed projects.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 11, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Dale is correct. You cannot use the out of the box "Strategic Impact" drivers, to map with your SharePoint List.

If your process dictates that you need the SharePoint List to collect the strategic drivers, then here is an alternative:

1) Create the custom fields you need in Project Online to match with the drivers in your SharePoint list.

2) Map them to the SharePoint list, so that they get populated into project.

3) while setting up of the analysis, choose to use the "Custom Field" method. 

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

• Marked as answer by ShaunieM Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:52 AM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Thank you both for your help :-)

Prasanna - your solution looks like it will work nicely. We do the thought and review and re-work of project drivers up front ahead of entry into Project Online. PO interface is a bit clunky and slow for the iterative part of the process.

FYI - a couple of the links on this page didnt seem to work for me https://azlav.wordpress.com/2015/10/19/portfolio-analysis-in-project-online-engagements-edition/

Thanks,

Shaun

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 9:52 AM