none
Network outage traced to machine that has blue screened

Question

• For the second time in the last few months We've had a partial network outage that was traced to a blue screened machine. This time, the BSOD referenced storport.sys.  The issue being caused is that the switch gets flooded with unknown traffic and that goes as far as the uplinked switch that gets taken down.

I can't find anything that stands out in a wireshark trace, but as soon as that machine is unplugged, everything is fixed.  What could possibly be causing this and how can it be prevented?

Monday, June 5, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Storport.sys blue screen errors can be caused by a variety of hardware, firmware, driver, or software issues. These could be related to either Microsoft Office System Beta 2 Kit 2003 software or Microsoft hardware, but it is not necessarily the case.

More specifically, these storport.sys errors can be caused by:

Incorrectly configured, old, or corrupted Microsoft Office System Beta 2 Kit 2003 device drivers. (very common)

Corruption in Windows registry from a recent storport.sys-related software change (install or uninstall).

Virus or malware infection that has corrupted the storport.sys file or related Microsoft Office System Beta 2 Kit 2003 program files.

Hardware conflict after installing new Microsoft hardware, or hardware related to storport.sys.

Damaged or removed system files after you’ve installed software or drivers related to Microsoft Office System Beta 2 Kit 2003.

storport.sys blue screen caused by a damaged hard disk.

storport.sys STOP error due to memory (RAM) corruption.

For more information, please refer to the link:

How To Fix Storport.sys Blue Screen Errors (BSOD)

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/bsod-blue-screen-error/sys/windows/microsoft/microsoft-office-system-beta-2-kit-2003/storport-sys/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:56 AM
  • The user was reportedly copying a large database between the hdd and a USB drive, so I'm sure the storport.sys error is related to that, but that's not my concern.  My concern is why, in the BSOD state, would the machine take down half the network?

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:17 AM
  • No, perhaps I need to be more clear. I'm not concerned with why the machine had a BSOD, I'm concerned with the network effects that BSOD caused.  Why would a crashed computer take down the network until such time that the machine had it's NIC unplugged?
    Monday, June 12, 2017 12:37 PM
  • Have you got any dump files?

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:23 AM
  • I do.  Do you have a specific part of the analysis that you would like to review?

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800963575f9, ffffd00021bf7c78, ffffd00021bf7480}

Probably caused by : partmgr.sys ( partmgr!PmIsRedundantPath+1cb )

Monday, June 19, 2017 2:23 PM