Bloated User Profile Disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have been looking far and wide for this, so I am sorry if the question has already been answered somewhere.

I am using Remote Desktop Services and when I enable User Profile Disks (UPD) in my Session Collection the template file is created just fine. When I choose a Max Size of 10GB for my UPDs a template is created that takes up 135 MB, however when I mount this template I can see that the used space is only 43,3 MB - why does the template take up more space than needed?

I have tried logging in and a profile disk is created just fine, however the newly created UPD now takes up 200 MB - and if I mount this new UPD then it only uses 107 MB (hence the file is about twice the size as the actual content).

Now we are closing in on the problem... 

I now take some big files and move to this profile - after doing this the UPD takes up 800 MB. I now delete the files and log off and the profile remains on 800 MB - though the size of the actual content remains 107 MB.

Is all this by design or am I missing something? The UPD will always grow but never shrink back? also it will always reserve 100-200 extra MB for "buffer"?

Thanks for all your help :)

Best Regards

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hello Peter_Ra,

The way the VHD is growing is normal, it will not automatically shrink it. The buffer is i.e. like SQL database files, that the system that is hosting the files is not continuously busy extending the VHD's.

If you really want to shrink the disks, it's an options to do this with Resize-VHD cmdlet in PowerShell on a Hyper-V server, or with the Hyper-V Manager GUI (don't forget to make a backup of the file you're about to edit).

The best way to avoid the 'bloating' is to redirect folders like Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Video's etc. etc. outside of the UVHD. You can also set the excludes of some folders in the Session Manager Properties at the User Profile Disks section in the Server Manager.

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, May 5, 2015 3:28 AM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 3:18 PM