"Microsoft Outlook Sorry, we're having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook. Network problems are preventing connection to Microsoft Exchange." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We recently migrated our EXCHANGE on prem 2010 to EXCHANGE on prem 2016.

All went well and almost no issues, except for two shared mailboxes.

Users are able to use the mailbox only when accessing the calendar , no one can open or edit items in the calendar.

They get the error :

"Microsoft Outlook Sorry, we're having trouble opening this item. This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook. an unknown error has occured."

We are using MS Outlook from Office 365 plus version 1810.

The mailbox permissions are all correct.

How can we fix this?

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:43 PM

All replies

• Hi DonDevonte,

Can they open or edit items of this shared calendar on OWA?

Does this error happen to all users?

Do you have cached Exchange mode enabled? If yes, items of shared calendar will also be cached to local data file. In case there were something wrong with the cached items, we can recreate the data file (OST) to see the results.

You can check following steps:

1. Select File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    2. Select the Data Files tab.
    3. Select your account data files and choose “Open File Locations”.
    4. Rename it to .old and then restart Outlook to generate a new data file.

If issue only occurs on Outlook client, we can try accessing shared calendar directly online to see the results. To do this,

1. Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    2. Double click your Exchange account.
    3. Choose More Settings.
    4. Under Advanced tab, unselect “Download shared folders”.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, March 4, 2019 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:14 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thank you for your assistance.

In OWA they can open and edit calendar items of this shared mailbox normally.

This happens with all the users even we granted them with full control from the ECP.

This morning i found out that it now only works when i turn on "Use Cached Exchange Mode" with the "Download shared folder" option checked.

We don't want to use Cached Exchange Mode, and this only happens with two specific shared mailboxes , other shared mailboxes are working fine.

Hope you can help me further with this information.

Regards,

Don

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hi Don,

Currently, I haven’t found related official articles about this issue.

Based on your description, we can try re-assigning the permission for the shared mailbox to see if it helps.

As far as I know, Exchange Throttling Policy is used for accounts to allow more connections for EWS services. According to this thread, you can check if connection was rejected by Throttling Policy: Set-ThrottlingPolicy

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Just check if the reply is helpful to you.

Monday, March 4, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Not sure if this has been resolved or not but I've run into the same issue with shared calendars.

I realized that it was actually tied to the permissions. After making some alterations, we were able to eliminate the problem. 

The users were set to author but needed the ability to edit all and not just their own. Once this change was made, everything ran smoothly. This problem presented itself right after we migrated our Exchange as well. 

Hope this helps!  

• Edited by Downlo4d Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hey Perry, your steps fixed for me. Awesome and thanks! The corrupt(possible) Ost file got recreated and i can open Mail items without any issues. This step fixed the sync issues too.
    Friday, May 17, 2019 10:27 AM
  • Thanks for Good Suggestions 
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:24 AM