Vista and webcams and Microsoft Lifecam RRS feed

• Question

• Windows vista beta 2 installed flawlessly on my system except for my logitech cam.  I understand they are not issuing drives until it is in full release form.  I bought a brand new Microsoft Lifecam figuring it would install.  No way.  I ran it in XP compatibility mode and looked like it would work but I got some weird message about not enough hard drive available even though I have a 500GB.  It just says it cannot go any further and stops.  I'm absolutely amazed that a new product from microsoft won't install under vista.  These cams aren't even supposed to be out till Nov.  Any ideas?  It works great on my other machine with XP.
    Sunday, July 9, 2006 10:59 AM

All replies

• I am moving your question to the hardware forum, they should be able to provide more guidance, or at least point you in a better direction.

~Elizabeth Ross - MSFT

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:39 PM
  • this is the hardware forum????
    Monday, July 17, 2006 5:24 PM
  • i tried three different brands of webcams ,including logitech,it seems none of the drivers would download.i had to download drivers for my new dell printer 944,four times before it downloaded,good luck i hope we both find webcams that the drivers will work
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 8:42 PM
  • yes it downloaded,but since microsoft did vista clean install ,dell printer will not fully download,i put it on my other computer which uses windows xp,i wish i knew what to buy or try before i blew all this money.
    Monday, August 14, 2006 10:46 PM
  • I have the same issue, nice product I wish it would work under Vista. I tried same things you did. I will keep looking..

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:16 AM
  • i guess in another six months,there will be all the drivers you could ask for,with everybody fighting to get in on the windows vista band wagon,this has to be the best product to date as far as microsoft goes,even though this is still a beta ,i love the features it offers,i'll wait to get another new printer and webcam when they become available for vista.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:12 AM
  • embarrising!
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:22 AM
  • Just out of curiosity, did anyone try running the setup program or the installed app in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode?
    Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, I missed that in the beginning thread.
    Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:21 PM
  • Okay, I got the driver to install by setting all the EXEs to compatibility mode, but it failed to install the LifeCam software. When I try to use the webcam in Live! Messenger, I get a blue screen. I'm running build 5384 the Beta 2 build.
    Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:30 PM
  • How frustrating. My old philips webcam will not work either, but to be honest I considered myself lucky it worked in XP.

I was looking to get a logitech cam on ebay, but I don't think I'll bother now (hopefully I'll get outbid!!) having seen all you guys problems.

Just one of many different driver issue, I believe shared by most. But hey thats the joy of beta testing!! Makes life more interesting I guess

Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:46 PM
  • i am going to try the logitech orbit webcam,if it does not work,i'll just wait for the updated drivers.
    Monday, August 28, 2006 11:09 AM
  • let us know if it works. I really like that webcam and want one, but no point getting one yet if it will not work yet.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:30 PM
  • driver downloaded,but not all of disk fully downloaded,orbit moves,but you can not open logitech features,i'll wait and be patient.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:04 PM
  • Greetings.  I guess we all have had issues with WebCams.  I am concerned that although I have filed several bugs and issues regarding Microsoft's own hardware, I have yet to receive one response from Microsoft regarding their own hardware etc.

Anyone else received a formal response from Microsoft regarding Beta Code and non functioning hardware when they have entered in support requests?

Is there a microsoft monitor that can respond or escalate

Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:48 AM
  • I also purchased the LifeCam in hopes that it would work with Vista.  I just installed Build 5536 hoping that this may have support for the webcam.  No luck.  The drivers install fine, but when I try to configure the camera in Windows Live Messenger, my system reboots when it gets to the step for configuring the video.

It does seem silly that Microsoft would not have support for its own hardware in the Vista Beta.  Other than this issue, I have been pretty happy with the OS.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 12:39 AM
  • I got the lifecam to work on vista by pluging in the hardware and having Vista find the driver on the cd. Not all the advanced features are available, but the clarity is good. Audio is messed up - the mic is turned full up causing distortion and the video frame rate is much less than I expected. I did try tech support they said there will be an update for Vista soon. No definition on what soon is though.
    Tuesday, September 5, 2006 2:23 PM
  • I thought you might be interested to know that I am geting the message about lack of disk space when I install the software on my Windows XP SP2 Home machine.

The installation seems to go into a loop and installs itself multiple times. Eventually I get the disk space (or error) message.

Don't think that this is a Vista issue, but a bad installation routine.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:54 PM
  • I seem to have gotten a bit further with the install now on XP Home.

I think that the lifecam software was prevented from installing by LavaSoft's Ad-Watch program (memory resident anti-spyware detector).

Once I had turned this off I could install the software.

My event log had lots of MSI installer messages about not being able to find certain registry keys. I think Ad-Watch was preventing these keys being written.

My guess is that you might have similar messages on Vista. Maybe your user doesn't have rights to change the registry or is there anything in Windows Defender that might cause similar behaviour?

What's interesting is that Ad-Watch hasn't caused issues of this sort with any other software, so Microsoft's installation routines might be doing something different to other software that Ad-Watch thinks is suspicious.

Hope this helps.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 11:01 AM
  • Maybe I can give further infos.

With Vista RC1 an automatic ident of the MS LifeCAM VX6000 is impossible. An install with the given CD "setup.exe" in kompatible mode (XP prof SP2) and administrator rights the software will not install, because the software is still intended to use only under XP. So why schould some install all the new "Live" programms when at the same time a Microsoft  "LifeCam" which schould work wth the new Live programs is not working?

Friday, September 15, 2006 10:26 AM
  • i installed the logitech webcam about three weeks ago,i can take pictures and videos with special effects added,but not use as webcam until logitech makes updated drivers.i installed the orbit,then went into logitech website and downloaded software for the orbit mp,which seemed to be a more updated program.
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:39 AM
  • how come i keep receiving replys about vista and webcams,yet they are telling the problems installing on windows xp
    Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:44 AM
  • Now have RC2 running and LifeCam still does not work.  Even used updated 1.2 drivers from MS.  Just get a blue screen when I go in to configure the video via Live Messenger.  I still find it amazing that MS doesnt include beta drivers for its own hardware in Vista.

When the camera was plugged in, Vista does say it finds the hardware and identifies it correctly.  I just cant use it.

Friday, October 20, 2006 6:58 PM
  • I got it to mostly work in Vista by plugging in the hardware and pointing Vista to the CD when prompted by the adding new hardware dialog.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 7:18 PM
  • i got my logitech orbit mp to work on vista,i have picture,special effects and can use on web,but weather making video or trying to talk with somebody on messenger,no audio,windows finds driver but can not install,when i had beta 2 i had audio and sometimes pic/vids use,i'll live with it until logitech comes out with drivers.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 9:23 PM
  • yes,my orbit mp worked well in xp,even notebook webcam worked?
    Friday, October 20, 2006 9:26 PM
  • i have had good luck with logitech products,i tried philips it is now on my desktop upstairs,that i got for my sister(windows xp sp 2)i did not get anything at all using philips with vista,the two printers i tried did not work on vista(dell 944,lexmark all in one)
    Friday, October 20, 2006 9:32 PM
  • having the same problem also with my LifeCam VX-3000. Can't install driver even tried the adviced 1.21 version.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:48 AM
  • like i wrote before,i am using logitech orbit mp on desktop with vista,everything but special effects work.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:08 AM
  • Hello, are the drivers for the lifecam available for vista?

is it true that they will NOT be supported until November?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:05 PM
  • i would ask microsoft,i know drivers are available for logitech and vista,so i would think ,you just have to download updated drivers.check website.good luck

also some drivers will work on completed version of vista(1-30-07) and not on beta or rc1/rc2.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Gotta tell you all that I installed the production release set of drivers/software for Microsoft's LifeCam (NX-6000) onto my production release o f Vista Ultimate (x86) and that the results are simply awful.  Any attempt to open the options panel on the LifeCam software results in a C++ assertion error, the camera works intermittantly (but audio is fine), and the software terminates abnormally quite often. 

Not at all sure what the problem is...but that's not mine to figure out. 

I will be interested to find out if anyone else is having these problems.

Friday, January 26, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Hi, I have a similar problem.

I bought a Lifecam VX6000 yesterday and tried to use it with Vista Enterprise.

The version of software is 1.3 for 32-bit Vista. (LifeCam1_3VX.exe).

When I launch the Lifecam app it crashes. I googled a bit and found a few others with the same problem.

Eventlog:

----------

Faulting application LifeCam.exe, version 1.30.175.0, time stamp 0x458712d1, faulting module atiumdva.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4575f617, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x04b4b5ed, process id 0x724, application start time 0x01c7419ada110d4e.

----------

Lifecam doesn´t seem to like my graphic drivers for Radeon X850.

/Carl-Henrik Persson, Sweden

Saturday, January 27, 2007 12:32 PM
  • The important thing is, the VISTA drivers are available. However as you mentioned above they are faulty, very often I get a blue screen with Vista Ultimate, 32 bit.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:51 AM
  • Same here,
    The lifecam control panel will not launch, instead will crash as soon as the window tries to display the image captured from the camera. I believe the problem is in the graphics driver too, I have the latest catalyst driver for my ATI X1600 Pro. Microsoft needs to do something about this problem since it reflects so poorly on their newest cams (mine is a VX6000).
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 4:20 PM
  • I also bought a microsoft lifecam vx-3000 an it will not install on my vista either . so i am stuck with a cam i can not used on my computer with windon vista at all. I wonder what bill gates is going to do to get this mess fix so i can intall my cam.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Are you using the new Vista LifeCAm driver?
    Friday, February 9, 2007 1:48 PM
  • I sure am using the new drivers.

Actually, the camera now works (don't know why....just started working 2 weeks later) but the LifeCam software still generates errors when you attempt to make adjustments.

Friday, February 9, 2007 11:39 PM
  • I've bought an NX-6000 in December last year. I tried installing on Vista 32bit RC1, RC2, RTM and on the latest Vista Ultimate x64.

I guess I was pretty stubborn, as the only use of it was the microphone. At the first install on Vista Ultimate 32bit, the second day MS published the OFFICIAL drivers for Vista, all went Ok. That is until I started LifeCam application. ASSERTION FAILED! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\LifeCam.exe; File: .\NX6000CameraImpl.cpp

Ok, maybe the rush of the launch.. Vista was on the way, perhaps the party was not over.. and the developers were still a little bit dizzy. But no updates since then.

So I tried Vista x64... my girlfriend insists in seeing me when we chat.. so.. what to do. Well... magically... it worked!! I almost didn't believe it. Unfortunately, the software is not as robust as I thought. It works only now and then... more then than now. Again, the assertion. Something screws up the parameters, as when opening the camera properties, all values are over the limit, some random, some -1... Strange.

You should be more accountable for the releases. At least it looks good though... as it hangs useless from the edge of my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505, Core2 Duo 2Ghz, 2G Ram, X1400, Sigmatel Audio - in case you think it helps)

Saturday, February 10, 2007 6:46 AM
  • Seriously, this (LifeCam 1.3) MUST be the WORST piece of software Microsoft ever released. At least Windows ME booted up and worked Ok for a couple of hours. Interesting though that even if this is a MS Tech forum, no one bothered to respond. Build for Vista??!!! I should send them a movie of myself screaming of frustration... trying to make the damn thing work. Assertion failure... in a released product... My God those are some lousy programmers....
    Monday, February 12, 2007 7:30 AM
  • No further progress on this, eh?

My particular problem (Vista Ultimate, SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit, LifeCam 3000) is that the mic seems to work fine (albeit at somewhat low volume levels) when recording locally or running through the Audio / Video wizard in MSN Messenger.  BUT as soon as I enter a video call... I can hear the other party but they cannot hear me.  The mic setting in the chat window is set to 0% and cannot be changed.  Wishing that I had not sent in the UPC with the rebate form as I am now stuck with a useless piece of hardware.  Microsoft, please step up and fix this problem, or tell us how to do so.  There are far too many people having trouble with this camera for it to be a coincidence.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:23 AM
  • I was told by a big store where i bought it that it is vista comp NOT...Also pack that it comes in says vista comp but its not and i was miss directed to a pointless driver download that gave me 1 min of picture and no sound and the same message you have received i received today after install complete.ERrrrrr.MS needs to get it together.Whats this V c++ assertion error????
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:08 PM
  • apparently there is even less than "progress" on this issue.  i bought the nx-6000 recently, as it was being touted as the "best webcam for laptops ever" only to be dissapointed by the lack of res. because of my old dell's usb ver.1 ports.  so yesterday i buy a dell 1705, full of usb's, core 2 duo 1.73 mHz, and lucky me... vista home premium!  what a sham!
    after googling a ton of blogs about this isuue, i called ms tech support.  after waiting for a half hour the guy on the other end tells me to go to support.microsoft.com and just download the vista software... which would have been a big help except that i had already tried that about a hundred times.  everytime i click the link that ms offers, i get a server not found error.  and the tech help suggested that there is a problem with my internet connection... and yet he was remotely sharing my desktop and could plainly see that i was connected perfectly fine.
    seems that people have given up on this issue as i havent seen a post more recent than march '07, but im still stuck... any ideas?
    oh yeah, and the install disk, which clearly says "vista compatible", refuses to install... must be something wrong with me huh? couldnt be a microsoft screw up...
    P O'd
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Well, I have no idea what or why you are having all the issues with the NX-6000. I have them running on 2 systems an HP Core2Due 1.86 and my built up system Pentium D 935.  Both are running the Vista RTM ultimate and I have had no issues with either.  Resolution is 2 mb and it runs smooth.

I have read recently in a couple of mags that Dell is having issues with vista period and is now accepting requests to get XP instead of Vista on thier new systems.  My feeling is that Dell is trying to release these system with older hardware, by that I mean the Mobo's with what I would classifie as barely compatible with vista.  If the new vista software on microsofts hardware download page is not working, I would suggest hitting dell up about it.  The last version I downloaded was yesterday and it was still the 1.3.

Here is the link to the hardware download page, give this a try and see if you can download from it     http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/downloads/default.mspx

Glenn

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:39 PM
  •  

I bought a microsoft lifecam vx-3000 too. I AM GOING TO UNINSTALL "VISTA" (by format "c") AND I AM GOING TO REINSTALL XP. THIS IS THE SINGLE WAY TO BE HAPPY ALL TOGETHER (XP-LIFECAM-NERO-INTEL CHIPSET GRAPHICS AT HOME: HP SLIM). WHAT IS GOING TO DO MICROSOFT FOR US AND OUR MONEY? WHEN I BOUGHT MY LIFECAM VX-3000 I WAS THINKING ABOUT ...I WANT ALL FROM MICROSOFT, "ZERO TROUBLES". WHAT'S HAPPENING!. NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO FIX THAT. I AM WAITING FOR AN ANSWER. PLEASE "NEUTRON" THINK!. THANKS.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:34 AM