OCS and LYNC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have OCS 2007 already installed in our environment and now trying to use LYNC within the same environment. Both OCS and LYNC are to be used for Internal clients only.

I have few questions here:

- Would there be any conflict if Lync and OCS co-exist in the same production environment.

- Can Lync and OCs clients talk to each other.

- I notice that SRV record for LYNC uses the same name and port as that of our OCS. This is the reason why we have not yet created SRV record yet. If I configure the clients manually will it work then.

Thanks

Vikas

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi, migrated to Lync Server from OCS 2007 or OCS 2007 R2 are supported.

The documents please check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425764.aspx

Side-by-side migration. In side-by-side migration, Lync Server 2010 is deployed alongside an existing Office Communications Server 2007 or Office Communications Server 2007 R2 deployment, and then you transfer operations to the new servers and move users to Lync Server 2010. This method requires additional server platforms, including hardware and software, during migration, and system names and pool names are different in the new configuration. If it becomes necessary to roll back to the previous version, you can shift operations back to the previous servers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by tzinger Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:35 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi, the steps for coexistence are:

1. create a new Lync pool on your existing OCS environment.(The FQDN of Lync pool and FE server shouldn't be same as OCS pool and FE server.)

2. Create a new SRV record points to Lync pool.

3. Test if Lync users can communicate with lagecy users.(They should can talk to each other)

"Once you have deployed Lync Server 2010 in parallel with Office Communications Server 2007 R2, the topology represents a coexistence testing state of the two deployments. Before migrating to Lync Server 2010, it is important to test both deployments and ensure services are started; each site can be administered, and clients can communicate with current and legacy users. Prior to migrating all users in Phase 8: Move from Pilot Deployment into Production, it is very important that you understand the state of each deployment and ensure that each deployment is functional and working properly. Typically, this coexistence testing phase exists throughout the pilot testing of Lync Server 2010. Legacy users are moved to Lync Server 2010 for a period of time to ensure that application compatibility and features and functions are working properly. After pilot testing, users and applications are moved to the production version of Lync Server 2010, and the legacy pools and applications of Office Communications Server 2007 R2 are retired."

4. There will be not conflicts if strictly follow the documents of Lync server coexistence and migration.

More information please check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413057.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Ben,

The question asked was about migrating OCS 2007 to Lync 2010, but in your answer you start talking about OCS 2007 but then switch to OCS 2007 R2. Are you saying you need to upgradge OCS 2007 to OCS 2007 R2 before migrating to Lync 2010?

I also noticed all of the documentation talks about OCS 2007 R2 migrations. Will there be documentation regarding migrating from OCS 2007?

Thanks,

Monday, December 13, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi, migrated to Lync Server from OCS 2007 or OCS 2007 R2 are supported.

The documents please check: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425764.aspx

Side-by-side migration. In side-by-side migration, Lync Server 2010 is deployed alongside an existing Office Communications Server 2007 or Office Communications Server 2007 R2 deployment, and then you transfer operations to the new servers and move users to Lync Server 2010. This method requires additional server platforms, including hardware and software, during migration, and system names and pool names are different in the new configuration. If it becomes necessary to roll back to the previous version, you can shift operations back to the previous servers.

• Proposed as answer by tzinger Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:35 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 3:34 AM
  • - I notice that SRV record for LYNC uses the same name and port as that of our OCS. This is the reason why we have not yet created SRV record yet. If I configure the clients manually will it work then.

I currently am migrating to Lync and have OCS 2007 R2 in coexistance.  I have all client autoconfigured, and my SRV records point to my OCS 2007 R2 server.  However, the Lync clients work with that autoconfiguration.  Likewise, if I configure my legacy clients to point at the Lync server, they are still able to logon.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 11:53 PM
  • While login as legacy users through lync client I got the error "There was a problem acquring personal certificate required to signin.if the problem continues please contact administrator."
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:35 AM