Will SQL Deadlocks cause a whole workflow to delete RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the deadlock:

Unknown SQL Exception 1205 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  Transaction (Process ID 396) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

At the same time user was trying to start a workflow and it locks up on them. They log out of sharepoint go back in and attempt to restart the workflow.

Its gone. This is the only clue found so far to its disappearance.

My thinking is that a deadlock SQL process cannot remove a process that is coded in sharepoint, and it is more likely that something/someone else is deleting this workflow at the same time this user is attempting to run it.

What do you think?

Paul

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Paul,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Daniel Yang
    Forum Support
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:43 AM
  • Hi Paul,

as i know if the workflow is failing, then the result should stop the workflow and revert back by removing the progress. i am not quite sure with this 'delete'.

please describe more about this, is this means the workflow need to be re-upload?

the error code 1205, have serveral trigger, most of them related with large data, that exceed the workers at IIS or SQL. but to delete the workflow, its depends on your design, if your design dont have this delete then automatically should be no delete process also.

to make sure usually we capture TTT trace, to trace the process, should there is a delete process when deadlock happens.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Hi Aries,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. So a user tried to kick off an approval workflow process at 12:05 est yesterday. She could not, the system hung. She closes the browser and logs back into sharepoint goes to start the process again but cannot find the workflow. She looks and finds there are no workflows (including the OOTB workflows) any longer. She things the hang caused the workflows to be gone.

This is not logical to me. I think that the workflows were in process of deleting at time she was trying to kick one off. That is why she could see it initially and why it hung. It coincides with the time reported for the error which was exactly 1205.  

What is a TTT, is that some kind of capture or logging that would need to have been enabled prior to this episode to capture the context? Or is it something I can run or look at now to gether more information about what happened?

I would really like to uncover the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the workflows.

Paul

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:28 PM
  • Will these SQL statements drop entire workflows out of sharepoint:

WSS_SiteContent_CORPTAXWorkSpace_CSC_ASP9.dbo.proc_DropWorkflow 65 DELETE   FROM
                      dbo.ScheduledWorkItems
                WHERE
                    Type = CAST   (N'BDEADF09-C265-11d0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F' as uniqueidentifier) AND
                    ParentId = @ListId   AND
                    SiteId = @SiteId   AND
                    BatchId =   @WorkflowInstanceId     
    WSS_SiteContent_CORPTAXWorkSpace_CSC_ASP9.dbo.proc_AutoDropWorkflows 44 EXEC   proc_DropWorkflow
                        @WorkflowInstanceId,  
                        @SiteId,
                        @WebId,
                        @ListId,
                        @RequestGuid   OUTPUT     
    WSS_SiteContent_CORPTAXWorkSpace_CSC_ASP9.dbo.proc_DropWorkflowAssociation 42 EXEC @AllDeleted =   proc_AutoDropWorkflows
                        @SiteId,
                        NULL,
                        @ListId,
                        NULL,
                        @Id,
                        NULL,
                        1 ,
                        @RequestGuid   OUTPUT     

Paul

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:50 PM
  • Hi Paul,

i agree with your thoughts, when we do an approval workflow, there are no procedures that called to remove a workflow in the workflow's flow.

TTT trace, is a process to trace/debug a process state, by doing this we may know where to where a process took place,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716889/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2853429/en-us

we do have those drop workflow store procedure, and those procedures usually called when we want to remove an associated workflow.

there is an article that i may suggest for you, quite nice : http://blog.blumenthalit.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=109

http://blog.blumenthalit.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=106

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:52 AM