Offline Data Strategy RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently looking to strategize an offline mail and data strategy for a mergers and acquisitions firm.  We are challenged by a number of things as we have a highly mobile workforce with the need to have access to large mail stores and document repositories in an offline capacity with a high attention to security.  We are very interested in learning of other similar strategies in production and what Microsoft suggestions for best practices may be here.  We currently are using Enterprise Vault as part of our Exchange strategy and are moving to MOSS 2007 in the near future for document collaboration and business process management.

Any links to white paper or explanations of strategy would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Erik,

Well, this thread has sat here without anymore replies, and unfortunately I personally haven't been involved with those kinds of data archival and compliance projects, but I'm willing to bet there are some good resources and case studies out there, as well as partners of Microsoft's in your area who have "been there, done that". 

Just a quick search on "Exchange email compliance archive" brings up several options. 

If any of you have any more ideas for Erik, please share them here.

-Kevin
    Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, March 2, 2009 1:17 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hi Erik,

There are tools out there now that let you easily get emails into Sharepoint 2007, and if most of the communication is internal perhaps you could even get people to use Sharepoint functionality like discussion boards, blogs or wikis instead of email. 

Then you could use MS Groove to synch offline users.

The big change is to stop using email as a content management system.

Cheers, Andrew
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:38 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

Personally, I'm not sure what you mean by "offline mail and data strategy".. your description sounds like you mean "off premises"; datea stored securely off-site, but accessible securely from any Internet connected location.  Is that what you are asking about?  Correct me or clarify if I'm wrong.

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Monday, February 16, 2009 12:42 PM
  •  In "offline" I am referring to the ability to have access to mail stores and data when unable to sustain any internet connection.  Specifically the ability to select a sizeable subset of the data to the local system and then be able to synchronize any changes upon reconnection.  As an example, we have a number of individuals that require access to a preponderance of their mail and documents while traveling when internet access is impossible or degraded to the point where managing an RPC or VPN connection is not viable.  There are a number of solutions out there that seem to handle elements of our needs individually but there are always some shortcomings and lack of integration putting a lot of onus on the user to be more technically savvy than we are able to expect in order to manage the concept.

We are very interested in knowing if Microsoft has any recommended paths they suggest or what Microsoft itself might have in place for users with similar requirements that would assist us in planning a reasonable strategy for these users.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Well.. what you're describing to me sounds an awful lot like what you get by default when using Outlook 2007 and Exchange Server.  The cached mode of Outlook means that you can work with your mailbox and mail folders even though you may not be online.. and it will just connect and reconnect as it can.  And Outlook on mobile devices works pretty much the same way. 

Is that what you're looking for, or am I misunderstanding?
    -Kevin
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:44 PM
  • That is part of a solution.  Unfortunately the mail stores for our "road warriors" get so large that some form of vault solution is required to maintain them, barring wholesale deletion.  Due to legal restraints of our business, that just isn't a viable solution.  Vaulted mail items are also necessary to my users in an "offline" capacity.  Outlook also, as far as I know, does not present me with a document repository solution.  Currently we are using SharePoint 2003 with an eye to MOSS 2007 upgrade in the next quarter.  This is a great solution for document collaboration online, but not necessarily for my situation.

There may not be any "silver bullet" here, but I'm just fishing for any solutions that might have been used elsewhere (particularly at Microsoft) that might lead me down a more elegant path than those we've looked at so far.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Well, this thread has sat here without anymore replies, and unfortunately I personally haven't been involved with those kinds of data archival and compliance projects, but I'm willing to bet there are some good resources and case studies out there, as well as partners of Microsoft's in your area who have "been there, done that". 

Just a quick search on "Exchange email compliance archive" brings up several options. 

If any of you have any more ideas for Erik, please share them here.

-Kevin
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, March 2, 2009 1:17 PM
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hi Erik,

There are tools out there now that let you easily get emails into Sharepoint 2007, and if most of the communication is internal perhaps you could even get people to use Sharepoint functionality like discussion boards, blogs or wikis instead of email. 

Then you could use MS Groove to synch offline users.

The big change is to stop using email as a content management system.

Cheers, Andrew
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:38 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Generally data is kept offline to reduce cost (move data from expensive to cheaper storage). There are two main approaches:
    1. Archiving - for example move Exchange data to storage sollution such as Vault that organises the data on to another disk sub system.
    2. Backup - move data to backup, deduping technology assists in reducing the amount to one instance instead of having multiple.
    Andrew Sword, MVP
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:36 AM