none
Is data recovery possible even after formatting the drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Does formatting a storage device means data has permanently deleted? I have SD card in my phone and now i want to replace it with the new one. But before replacing the SD card i want to erase entire SD card so no one ever get access to my files. I have already formatted the SD card but i heard from my friend that data recovery is possible even after formatting the drives. Kindly suggest some tips to erase everything from the drive.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

Absolutely not.
    You can compare it to marking it for deletion, data is overwritten after new data is placed on the spots that previously held data.

So don't leave the disk attached for days without recovering, because even updates store temporary data on attached volumes.
    Recover the data as soon as possible.

You can use (free) tools like Recuva to recover data from the volume.
    Make sure you don't recover it to the same drive, as it overwrites the deleted data you are currently restoring.

Best regards

Please mark answer as proposed answer if my solution works for you.

• Edited by AntoonBouw Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:44 AM
    • Proposed as answer by AntoonBouw Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:44 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

You can successfully recover files from the formatted SD card as long as you don't overwrite the data with new content. It's no doubt that you will lose all the files on the SD card after you format it. However, that doesn't mean the data is totally erased. When you format an SD card, you delete the entries of the existing files and then you have no access to them, but the data is still there. Thus, with the help of hard drive recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, you can recover all the files from the formatted SD card or other memory card types.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:14 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying to my thread. 

But i am not looking for the data recovery even i want to erase everything from my device so no one can ever recover my files.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:48 AM
  • HI Nick,

Formatting a SD card isn't enough for making it unrecoverable. You need to take help from professional data eraser software like Bitraser for file. Also, i suggest you to read this blog https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-completely-wipe-memory-card-of-mobile-phone/ , here you will find different options to completely wipe out your storage device.

• Proposed as answer by Mike J Peace Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nickjon Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:04 AM
  • Fine.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:39 AM
  • Sure @jeffrey
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:39 AM
  • Thanks for suggesting me data eraser software, will try it.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:41 AM
  • For peace of you mind, if the card contained something you don't want others to find - just destroy it and buy a new one.

-- pa

Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:36 PM