none
SBS 2008 to Server 2016 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Doing a "migration" from SBS 2011 to Server 2016 Essentials or to Server 2012 Standard.  A few questions.

Well, first, FYI, I get the usual stuff about migrating from SBS to Essentials or Standard -- join the new servers, "promote" move the FSMOs, etc. All to say, I'm past the overview and getting to the details. 

The final design of the network is for two servers -- one for AD and one for Data, mission critical applications, and a Remote Desktop Gateway (RDG) to take the place of the SBS RWW.  Exchange is not being migrated so that simplifies the move. 

- First, is there any advantage to using 2012 Std. over 2016 Essentials for the RDG? Since 2016 is the newer OS, I'd prefer to use that as the AD 'cause it seems to be a bit friendlier to Office 365.  Server 2012 is already the data server for the domain so I'm hoping that there is no reason to use it as the DC.

- Second, as expected, all of the PC clients of the existing SBS server have "Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent"  loaded. Does that software need to be removed from the desktops or is it just not used if there is no longer an SBS on the network?  If it needs to be removed, when is the best time -- before or after the FSMOs roles are moved?

- Are there any "Gotcha!!" moments regarding existing GPOs?  I'll Import/Export only the GPOs that were created by the IT department here and which I know are used.  I ASSUME and find no documentation indicating differences in syntax between GPOs used on 2008 and 2016 or 2012 but that's the kind of thing that could really bite my a$$ so any input is welcome.

That's it.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:00 PM

Answers

• You cannot install 2016 in migration mode, it does not exist. There is no new domain when you migrate by installing a new server as a replica domain controller so there is no need to unjoin or rejoin. Those computers have an account in your AD and that remains. The only thing you need to do is install the Connector software from the 2016 server in the case you use Essentials role. The connector software adds software to the client computer for client backups and it makes the computer accounts visible in the Essentials Dashboard

The SBS 2008 client agent should be uninstalled but it does not really matter if you do that before or after moving FSMO roles as long as it is uninstalled at some point before you remove the SBS.

Most old SBS GPO's need to be removed. If you have used Folder Redirection you should remove the old SBS policies and run the wizard from the Essentials Dashboard and turn on the new policies for Folder Redirection. You MUST reboot clients 3 times before the new policies will apply. Check the event log on those clients for possible problems. If you find that your client computers do not point to the new server for My Documents or any other folder that is redirected you need to fix that before you demote the SBS. There can be numerous reasons for Folder Redirection policies to fail, if you have issues let me know and we will fix them

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Migrations done the easy way, migrate from SBS 2003, 2008 or 2011 to Windows Server 2016 and Office 365

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by KBXR Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

>is there any advantage to using 2012 Std. over 2016 Essentials for the RDG?
    Windows Server Essentials provide the function of “RWA” – Remote Web Access, which is the improved version of previous RWW. Remote Desktop Gateway is installed/configured by default when using RWA on Essentials Server.

Also, Windows Server Essentials must be PDC which holds all FSMO roles, limitations are same as SBS.

If you want to manage O365, Windows Server Essentials provide O365 integration which is helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:31 AM

All replies

• OK, so I found a nice Microsoft document that gives me a few answers as well as a few questions

The document indicates that the "Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent" needs to be removed and then the existing PCs need to be joined to the "new" domain.  However, I find many threads by those who have gone through the migration who simply joined the new server to the domain, made it a DC and never mentioned re-joining the PCs or unloading any of the connector software. 

Which process is "correct"?  Is installing 2016 in Migration mode better/worse than joining it to the existing domain and making it a DC? (Yeah, unless you all tell me differently, I'm using 2016 Essentials as the new DC.)

Al

• Edited by KBXR Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

>is there any advantage to using 2012 Std. over 2016 Essentials for the RDG?
    Windows Server Essentials provide the function of “RWA” – Remote Web Access, which is the improved version of previous RWW. Remote Desktop Gateway is installed/configured by default when using RWA on Essentials Server.

Also, Windows Server Essentials must be PDC which holds all FSMO roles, limitations are same as SBS.

If you want to manage O365, Windows Server Essentials provide O365 integration which is helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:31 AM