Scenario: client migration SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 - with overlapping boundaries .. will this work?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm planning the following scenario for a client migration (from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 SP1):

- Make sure that all SCCM 2007 (and SCCM 2012) clients do not auto assign. All SCCM 2007 Client are in an Active Directory OU and i will use a policy or script that will make sure that these clients will be (and stay) assigned to the SCCM 2007 site.
    - Register all the boundaries from SCCM 2007 in SCCM 2012 (overlapping boundary's!)
    - Make sure that with a new deployment, the workstation is getting the correct site with the by the 'SMSSITECODE=' property (so no auto assignment)
    - All SCCM 2012 workstations will be installed on a special seperated deployment network (in a special deployment room ) and when ready, they are placed on the users desk. So the SCCM 2012 client will only be installed with a new deployment. These clients also will be in an Active Directory OU other than the SCCM 2007 clients .. so if needed i can also use a policy or script to make sure that thes client will stay assigned to the SCCM 2012 site.
    - There will be a moment to decide to move de DHCP PXE scope setting(for deployments) from the SCCM 2007 to the SCCM 2012 environment .. but that's not a crucial moment, because all workstations in the migration period will be deployed in a seperate room and network

The reason for a new deployment for workstations is new image (V1.0-x86 >> V2.0-x64), so i will make use of this image upgrade path.

So my migration action is: deploy an new workstation (with sccm 2012 client .. part of image V2.0-x64) in a special deployment room and place this workstation back on the users desk.

My simpel question is: will this scenario work or is there something i'm not seeing right now?

With kind regards,
    Hayo Veenstra

Friday, August 2, 2013 3:55 PM

Answers

• When you do a manual push, you are assigning it to the 2012 site. So, no auto assign feature comes into play. From there, you just need boundaries for content. Those overlapping is fine. Boundaries don't keep the clients assigned. You can let DHCP change the IP all you want. They will still be registered with the 2012 site. At my current client, we have absolutely no auto assign turned on. We used manual push to upgrade from 2007 client to 2012. They are staying put in the 2012 console.
    • Marked as answer by Haytec Friday, August 2, 2013 11:42 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• If your deployment network is isolated from 2007 clients, you could put that boundary in a group and allow auto site assignment.  Typically, I leave 2007 alone with the exception of the auto deployment of the client.  I turn that off.  Then, I make sure auto site assignment is off on my 2012 boundary groups (if they over-lap 2007 boundaries).  I've never done it the other way around like you.  But, I can confirm that the way I described works.  Overlapping boundaries for site assignment is not supported.  But, it is for content. 
    Friday, August 2, 2013 5:43 PM
  • If i understand you correctly, you also used boundary overlapping?

The reason that i'm asking for this scenario, is that i want a fased migration where i can migrate whichever client i want at a certain moment. And i read that boundary overlap is not supported, but the problems i read are related with auto-site assignment .. something i wil avoid with my given scenario.

So let's say i have:

- 2000 SCCM 2007 clients
    - 20 boundaries (for 20 networks), that gives an average of 100 clients per boundary.
    - All these clients use DHCP with automatic ip configuration, which means that a client could have another ip a week later (when i was turned off)

How can i migrate a single client or a part of a boundary (let's say 50 clients) to SCCM 2012 .. without boundary overlap?

With kind regards.

Friday, August 2, 2013 8:38 PM
  • I use boundary overlap only for content (supported).  On 2012, I make sure the box is deselected on my boundary groups for auto site assignment to avoid boundary overlap for assignment (not supported).  When you do this, a manual client push install assigns it to the site.  So, unless you are installing with a logon script, you can select 30 or so clients at a time to push the client to.  
    Friday, August 2, 2013 8:52 PM
  • I don't know if i'm understanding you right, but when i will migrate 30 clients (from a 100 clients boundary) from 2007 to 2012 with the push method (this method i will prefere to use) .. there need to be a SCCM 2012 boundary for these 30 clients that will overlap with a SCCM 2007 site? Thereby i cant't just adjust the SCCM 2007 boundary, because the ip adresses of the clients can change.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 9:17 PM
  • When you do a manual push, you are assigning it to the 2012 site. So, no auto assign feature comes into play. From there, you just need boundaries for content. Those overlapping is fine. Boundaries don't keep the clients assigned. You can let DHCP change the IP all you want. They will still be registered with the 2012 site. At my current client, we have absolutely no auto assign turned on. We used manual push to upgrade from 2007 client to 2012. They are staying put in the 2012 console.
    • Marked as answer by Haytec Friday, August 2, 2013 11:42 PM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 9:35 PM
  • My assumption is that i needed boundaries for managing clients, but if i understanding you right it's the boundaries for content that matters. Does that mean when i don't use auto-assignment for clients, i don't need boundaries for clients .. i only need boundaries for content?

So this means my migration scenario looks like this:

- Don't configure/change anything in my SCCM 2007 site

- Only create content boundaries in SCCM 2012

- Do not use auto assigment

- Use a client push methode with proprty 'SMSSITECODE=SCCM2012 site'

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:53 PM
  • You got it!
    Friday, August 2, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Briljant .. thank you very much, Mavtech!! The migration will even be easier than i thought :-)

I just found an interesting article that summarizes everything:

http://blog.danovich.com.au/2013/06/18/site-assignment-boundaries-are-not-required-in-sccm-2012/

Friday, August 2, 2013 11:42 PM