none
Portfolio Server 2007 won't login RRS feed

• Question

• We installed Portfolio Server 2007 on a testing server originally, now that we've learned the product, we wanted to re-install it in a production environment.  We went ahead and installed Portfolio Server 2k7 on the production sever (this is the same server that our pwa and sharepoint are installed on) and pointed it to our existing database (the same one the first install was pointing too).  The installation went well, but we kept getting a PPSaccountindex error. We resolved that, but it won't let us log in. From the log in window it just says, "You have entered an incorrect user name/password combination."

How do we resolve this?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:18 PM

Answers

• My guess is you're running PPS as Network Service and it doesn't have access to the databases. Make sure that Domain\PPSMachineName$ has access to the PPSAccountINDEX database on SDB004P\PROD; Take a look at the SQL Server logs to verify my guess.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:52 AM

All replies

• Enable tracing (in PPS web.config, look for trace.axd), then try to log in again and go through the detailed tracing to figure out the exact problem. By default, you shouldn't have to enter a user/pass since the application is configured on install to use Windows integrated authentication - so probably something else is not correctly set on your server.

What was the problem/fix for the PPSAccountIndex error?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply first of all. Well I tried setting a trace and it didn't work. Just to be certain I did this correctly can you please check out the following:

<trace enabled="true" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="true" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true"/>

There is no file that outputs, I'm going to try again in the mean time. As for the PPSAccountIndex fix, we're not exactly sure what fixed it. We did some tinkering with the web.config file and we changed the windows authentication lines:

<!-- 
         Uncomment following 2 keys to use SQL server authentication. Comment the integrated keys in that case.
    		   Replace [DATABASE_USER], [DATABASE_PASSWORD], [DATABASE_SERVER] with correct values. Leave [DBNAME] as is. 
      -->
      <!--
      <add key="Template.ConnectionString" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=PPSACCOUNTINDEX;Data Source=sdb004p\prod;Workstation ID=SEPM01P;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096"/>
      <add key="PPSAccountIndex.ConnectionString" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=PPSAccountIndex;Data Source=sdb004p\prod;Workstation ID=SEPM01P;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096"/>
       -->
      <!-- 
         Uncomment following 2 keys to use windows integrated authentication. Comment the above 2 keys in that case.
    		   Replace [DATABASE_SERVER] with correct value. Leave [DBNAME] as is. 
      	-->

<add key="Template.ConnectionString" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=TRUE;Initial Catalog=[DBNAME];Data Source=SDB004P\PROD;" />
      <add key="PPSAccountIndex.ConnectionString" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=TRUE;Initial Catalog=PPSAccountINDEX;Data Source=SDB004P\PROD;" />

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Catalin,

I can confirm there is no trace file showing up, even after enabling it. I looking in the portfolioserver root folder and there is nothing there. Any thoughts/suggestions?

John

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:10 PM
  • My guess is you're running PPS as Network Service and it doesn't have access to the databases. Make sure that Domain\PPSMachineName$ has access to the PPSAccountINDEX database on SDB004P\PROD; Take a look at the SQL Server logs to verify my guess.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:52 AM
  • No trace is being generated on the disk, it is a virtual link. You just need to load http://[serveraddress]/portfolioserver/trace.axd in your browser. Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wwh16c6c.aspx for more details on enabling tracing.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 6:29 AM