none
What was updated in the December 2016 Release? RRS feed

• Question

• The summary of changes in the January, 2017 release were just published to the Office Blogs here: https://blogs.office.com/2017/02/08/january-2017-updates-for-get-transform-in-excel-2016-and-the-power-query-add-in/

The last summary prior to that was for the November, 2016 release here: https://blogs.office.com/2016/12/01/november-2016-updates-for-get-transform-in-excel-2016-and-the-power-query-add-in/

The December release made available on 5 January, 2017 did not get an update published there.  I thought perhaps the summary for January might mention both releases, but it did not.

Is there a summary of changes for the December release anywhere?

Thanks,

Dale

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks for staying on top of our monthly updates, Dale.

In the December update, the only "major" enhancement was the OLE DB connector and it was only exposed via the Query Editor. Therefore, we decided to hold off on the blog post announcement.

You can find details about the new OLE DB connector in the most recent blog post that you linked to.

Thanks,
    M.

• Marked as answer by Dale Hohm Monday, February 13, 2017 11:15 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 10:54 PM

All replies

• Thanks for staying on top of our monthly updates, Dale.

In the December update, the only "major" enhancement was the OLE DB connector and it was only exposed via the Query Editor. Therefore, we decided to hold off on the blog post announcement.

You can find details about the new OLE DB connector in the most recent blog post that you linked to.

Thanks,
    M.

• Marked as answer by Dale Hohm Monday, February 13, 2017 11:15 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for confirming.  I was secretly hoping that there might have been something significant (like a secret way to turn on intellisense in the advanced editor), but now I know I'm caught up.

Dale

Monday, February 13, 2017 11:15 PM
  • There has not yet been an update describing changes in the February, 2017 release.

Is this again because they were too minor to warrant a write-up or is a description still forthcoming?

Thanks,

Dale

Monday, March 13, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Due to the Office release mechanism, the February Get & Transform update was pushed to March. We are naming our releases according to the month when a particular update goes to the general public.

Hope it helps.

Guy

- Excel Team

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Thanks Guy, but I was referring to the release posted on 1-March-2017.  Previously you would have called that the February release even though it was posted 1-Mar.  So, same question.

Dale

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:35 PM
  • Hi Dale,

If the release falls at the very beginning of the month - we still count it for the previous month for the sake of consistency. However, in this case the Office 2016 Click-2-Run deployment came too late into March. It would look strange if we cal it "February Update" while the actually Office 2016 Click-2-Run delivery happens on March-10.

Guy.

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Sorry if I'm not being clear.

When a new release drops, like the one on March 1st, the only way users know what was added or fixed in that release is by reading the announcement that shows up in the Office Blogs.  This used to reliably show up there within a few days of when the new release appeared on the download site... two weeks have passed since that release was dropped on March 1st, however.

Without this documentation, we may not know what is new and be able to take advantage of the great work you guys are doing... so, will there be a description of changes posted for the release dropped on March 1st?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:05 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Now I get it. Thanks for clarifying. I have recently published the blog post describing the changes in this update. Here it is:

https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/10/march-2017-updates-for-get-transform-in-excel-2016-and-the-power-query-add-in/

As you said, usually blog post goes right at the time when the new bits are released. This month, due to some internal issues this wasn't the case and there was a 2 weeks delay between releasing the Power Query add-in and the blog post. Things should be back to normal starting from the next month.

Guy

- Excel Team

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:10 PM
  • Thanks Guy, but there appears to be something wrong.

When I go to office Blogs, I do not see the article you provided the link for.

I have a lot of products turned on, but simplifying the URL to just Excel, you'll find that it does not appear:

https://blogs.office.com/?filter=true&filter-product=excel

Dale

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I'll check this.

You do see the article when browsing to this URL though - I'd like to suggest you follow this one:

https://blogs.office.com/excel/

Guy

-Excel Team

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

• Edited by Guy Hunkin Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Thanks for that link - I was unaware of it - only knew about the general Office blog.

Yes, I was able to see the article with the URL you provided before and I am able to see it on the Excel blog.

Thanks for looking into this.

Dale

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:56 PM
  • No update posted for the July 17th, 2017 release two weeks ago.  Is this another release with no user-relevant changes or is the update still coming?
    Monday, July 31, 2017 3:19 PM
  • We have moved the announcements to Excel Tech Community here. The July blog post will follow soon.

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

Monday, July 31, 2017 3:22 PM
  • I've been watching that space and have seen nothing posted yet.  Will it be in the Blogs section or in the forum section?

How will people know to look there?  It seems to be little traffic there and I knew nothing of it until you posted the link.

I must say that I waste a good amount of time looking for these announcements.  Since release notes highlighting the changes are not packaged with the code drops, we have no way of knowing what has changed from release to release (and take advantage of all of the great new features you add) without seeing the write-ups.  Why do you make them so hard to find?

Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Still no sign of an announcement for the July 17th update.
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi Dale,

To see all the Excel related blogs, go to Microsoft Tech Community forum, choose Blogs from the top menu and then choose Excel Blogs on the right. Here is the direct link: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/bg-p/ExcelBlog

In June we announced the Azure Data Lake Store connector. Here is the announcement: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Announcing-the-Azure-Data-Lake-Store-Connector-in-Excel/ba-p/91677

The August blog post will be coming soon.

Guy

- Excel Team

Guy Hunkin - Excel Team

Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:08 PM
  • There has not been a posting of updates for the September release.

Do you have a target by which time these updates are to be posted?  Let me know and I'll quit asking.

I just point out again that this is the only way we users know what you have added to this great tool...

Dale

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:17 AM