none
Unable to RDP into Windows Server 2012 R2 after installing January 8, 2019 Rollup

Question

• After installing the January 8, 2019 Rollup (KB4480963) on a server running Windows Server 2012 R2, I found I was unable to RDP into that server. Troubleshooting included checking settings and permissions for RDP and trying to access the server via a file share and pinging the server, both of which I could do without a problem. The problem appears to be limited to access via RDP. 

I had to uninstall the patch and reboot the server to restore RDP access. I made no other changes to the server other than installing the patch. The server is a member server in an Active Directory domain. 

I'm reporting this problem as it appears to be a bug in this update.

Friday, January 11, 2019 6:38 PM

All replies

• On the target I'd check the TermService (Remote Desktop Services) service is running. From the source also test with PowerShell;

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName "192.168.49.65" -Port 3389 -InformationLevel "Detailed"

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:45 PM
  • Hi,

>I found I was unable to RDP into that server.
    What is the error message of failed remote desktop connection? 

Try to use Telnet to check RDP port 3389 function. Open CMD with admin permission, type below command and end with enter:
    Telnet <tserv> 3389

Replace the <tserv> with Windows Server 2012 R2 IP address to check the result. If it works, replace the <tserv> with Windows Server 2012 R2 host name and check the result.

You can reference “Using Telnet to Test Port 3389 Functionality” for detail information:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/187628/using-telnet-to-test-port-3389-functionality

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:37 AM
  • It is not a known issue as per the KB itself but thank you for your highlighting as it helps to identify similar issues.

As advised already, please check if your server is listening on port 3389 using netstat and try to check if the port is responding using telnet. This helps to do some isolation of the issue in case you re-install the KB and you find the same difficulties.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Monday, January 14, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 18, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, January 25, 2019 7:29 AM