App-V client fails on launch RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When trying to launch an application, the App-V client fails at the the 'checking for updates' stage.  Microsoft's solution seems be to configure the SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER environment variable on the App-V client, but I can't find how you actually do this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:06 PM

Answers

• The problem was actually much simpler than I first thought. I had tried installing the App-V client from a network share, rather than the C drive of the client machine. Installing again from the C drive resolved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by geoige Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:22 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Geoige

You can modify this options and more in the registry, just open regedit (in the client). Go to:

for 32bit machine i think: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration

for 64bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration

there you find the key: "ApplicationSourceRoot" you need to put your Streamming server.

For more info you can go http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464849.aspx.

Enjoy it!

We can do things in a "Good" way(DEL) or in a "Brute" way(SHIFT+DEL).
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hi Geoige

You can modify this options and more in the registry, just open regedit (in the client). Go to:

for 32bit machine i think: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration

for 64bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration

there you find the key: "ApplicationSourceRoot" you need to put your Streamming server.

For more info you can go http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464849.aspx.

Enjoy it!

Ok, found the "ApplicationSourceRoot" key, but there is no value in here. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Hello,

How is your infrastructure setup?
    /Znack
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:36 AM
  • That value is blank by default, you need to know the streaming source location for your packages. 

See this article for more info on ApplicationSourceRoot: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843817.aspx

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Well, i guess God made Google for something (or Google made God) but we are not gonna discuss about that here, just use it :). As Znack asks to you, you sould say wich infrastructure do you use, one Streaming server? you do the pkg and then copy them in your local maschine?, a share? anyway, you can check the logs, they are really usefull (i guess thats why programmers make them). In your client are in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\sftlog.txt"

I feel sarcastic today... Geoige, have you tryed to check "ApplicationSourceRoot" in google? i help you http://www.google.com/search?q=ApplicationSourceRoot&hl=en and just check the first link im sure Aaron know about it ;).

Znack and Aaron you both become a "Vote As Helpful" at least someone know what to ask and how to google :)

• Proposed as answer by J.Badia Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:35 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:43 PM
  • The problem was actually much simpler than I first thought. I had tried installing the App-V client from a network share, rather than the C drive of the client machine. Installing again from the C drive resolved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by geoige Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:22 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:22 AM