Setting up Outlook Account - Error Message RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot set up an Outlook account - I keep getting the following message "We couldn't create the Outlook data file. Make sure the disk you're saving to isn't full or write protected and that the file isn't being used".

I am using IMAP and manually setting it up.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Before going further, is this a problem that has only recently occurred? If so, what specific operations did you do before this problem occurred?
    What's the version of your Outlook? (File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

>> I cannot set up an Outlook account. I am using IMAP and manually setting it up.
    Where did you add your email account to the Outlook? Did you choose the "Add Account" button via File > Info like below? If so, can this problem be reproduced if you add your account via File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings > Email > New?

Have you tried adding Exchange or POP accounts to see if this issue continues? If possible, you could also try configuring another email account as IMAP and see if there is any difference.

>> "We couldn't create the Outlook data file. Make sure the disk you're saving to isn't full or write protected and that the file isn't being used".
    If you had already confirmed that your disk space and write protected are normal, based on my research, this problem may appear only on adding the Gmail account. It is suggested for you to  try adding your email account to the Outlook client from other portals and see if it works. Please check the following steps:

1. Open the Control Pane
    2. Click Small icons from the drop-down menu from View By option > Choose Mail.(Or you can search for “Mail” directly in the upper right corner)
    3. Select Email Accounts > Email > New like below and add you email account.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:05 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 13, 2020 9:30 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if you have any update about this issue.

If you think my reply is helpful to you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Friday, March 20, 2020 9:33 AM