none
SBS 2011 sp1 event viewer access rights RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client that I have just installed a clean build SBS 2011 standard

Everything went well except on the upgrade to SP1 it took a long time the server is now upto date on all unpates

However when I go to system administrator and open the event viewer I get an error

MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\eventvwr.msc

this may be because the file does not exist is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient rights to this file

However if I open MMC Console and add the eventvwr.msc it will function normally

I have checked permissions and files but cant seem to find the problem

Help in what area to look for would be appreciated

Ted

now is the time

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:43 PM

Answers

• Start ->Run ->%appdata%\Microsoft\mmc . Delete all files from this location and try to open eventvwr again has this been done.?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:40 PM

All replies

• Is it issue with only eventvwr or any other mmc console e.g dsa.msc or dssite.msc ? Start ->Run ->%appdata%\Microsoft\mmc . Delete all files from this location and try to open eventvwr again. If that doesn't work running procmon should give more information for any access denied.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:10 AM
  • It is only an issue with the event viewer all other apps that use mmc work okay

this is what makes it difficult to workout

now is the time

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Start ->Run ->%appdata%\Microsoft\mmc . Delete all files from this location and try to open eventvwr again has this been done.?
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:40 PM