none
Exchange Migration 2010 to 2013 different AD domains.... RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my situation, I have migrated our users AD accounts to a new domain (newDomain.corp), but still use the exchange server in our old domain (oldDomain.corp) with linked mailboxes, which work fine.  I am now to the point where I want to decommission our old 2010 exchange server in the old domain, or at least have the users mailboxes on a new Exchange 2013 box belonging to the new domain.  I am looking for the best way to migrate the users mailboxes from the EXCH01oldDomain.corp (2010 Exchange server) to the new exchange 2013 server EXCH01.newDomain.corp, yet still have both servers online serving mailbox roles for users for a limited time. So basically, can i have 2 exchange servers from different domains serving the same users in newdomain.corp?  Free busy and calendaring all have to work.

Thanks!

richard

Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Please make sure the two-way trust between the new domain and old domain has been set up.

Generally, when we run New-MoveRequest cmdlet to move a mailbox from an Exchange source forest (Old domain) to an Exchange target forest (New domain), the target forest must contain a valid Mail-Enabled user account with the set of AD attributes. Since the mailboxes in old Exchange 2010 are all linked mailbox which have Mail-enabled user accounts in new forest, we can directly move the mailbox from old Exchange 2010 to new Exchange 2013.

We can use the Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 script with the -UseLocalObject to move mailbox with the existing AD account in new domain:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee861103(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 17, 2014 9:23 AM

All replies