windows explorer in win7 drop down menu control contents RRS feed

• Question

• windows explorer in win7/ windows in general  drop down menu control contents
    how do we add and or remove, ie edit the contents of the right click drop down menus in windows explorer and other drop down menus in windows generally

for example if i right click a zip file i get options that allow me to scan for virus or add to a zip file. i want to edit these options
    with thanks
    philip jh
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:07 AM

Answers

• Hi

If you mean the right click Context Menu, here are a couple of links to brief tutorials and links to third party tools for doing this.

Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7

Easy tool to edit context menu?

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

You can run regedit and navigate to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers 

Here you need to simply delete the keys you don't want. Alternatively you can use an application to edit the items in the context menu.

ContextEdit is a good freeware you may want to use. You can also try ShellMenuView. It is a small utility that display the list of static menu items that appeared in the context menu when you right-click a file/folder on Windows Explorer, and allows you to easily disable unwanted menu items. 

FileMenu Tools lets you add, delete & customize the context menu items of the Windows Explorer.

Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you mean the right click Context Menu, here are a couple of links to brief tutorials and links to third party tools for doing this.

Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7

Easy tool to edit context menu?

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

You can run regedit and navigate to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers 

Here you need to simply delete the keys you don't want. Alternatively you can use an application to edit the items in the context menu.

ContextEdit is a good freeware you may want to use. You can also try ShellMenuView. It is a small utility that display the list of static menu items that appeared in the context menu when you right-click a file/folder on Windows Explorer, and allows you to easily disable unwanted menu items. 

FileMenu Tools lets you add, delete & customize the context menu items of the Windows Explorer.

Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:22 AM